Sea Quest Black Diamond or Balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell be about the type of diving you are going to be doing? Do you want or need all the extra rings?

If you are going to be doing most of your diving in a 7mil I would probably lean more to the Diamond just because of the extra lift.

90% of my diving will be done in local quarries while wearing a 7mm farmer john and usually a hood and gloves. I have to carry 24# to sink me and that suit. 10% will be travel and I'm not paying to go anywhere that I have to wear more than a 3mm jumpsuit.

I have the Balance and Love it, it is tough having the limited pocket space but it is made up for with its stream line design

If lack of pockets is a problem, attach pockets to your wetsuit, or get x-shorts!

I can guarantee you it is a MUCH better solution than pockets in any vest!

And my problem with the BD is basically this: It is over-engineered, and looks (in some divers´ eyes) beats function...

i would advise against the air2.
i was planning on getting one just like you to reduce the number of hoses.
but i decided not to because it will never breath as well as a true regulator, which is important when you are diving deep. it will also be very difficult to use in situations where you need to inflate your bcd whilst breathing i.e. fighting a strong downcurrent.
for these two reasons i have stuck to a traditional balanced octo

my 2cents

After trying them both on. The streamlined design of the Balance won out even though I was leaning toward the BD.

I've had it in the pool for a rescue class and love it so far. The back inflate design makes it easier to stay horizontal under water compared to my older jacket style BC.

KY_BOB, I also got a Balance and really like it. Granted that I had only used jacket style BCDs before. I'm a big guy, 6'0 260lbs, and the balance fits well. For me, with a 7mm farmer john, 5mm hood and gloves, it was a little difficult getting under the surface. I got 7mm jumpsuit and that solved that problem. It has handled very well in both quarries and warm salt water in the carribbean. The only quirk that I've found with the balance has been the tendency for air to get trapped in certain spots in the bladder, specially towards the bottom. Doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then I have to open the bottom dump valve to get that last bit of air out. It has been great for travelling also.

My dive buddy also has a balance and he really likes it also, but he got his hands on an old Zeagle (not the Ranger) in very good condition and very cheap from the owner of his LDS and he LOVES that. Hopefully I'll get to take it for a spin on our next dive.

Enjoy the Balance!

KY_BOB, I also got a Balance and really like it. Granted that I had only used jacket style BCDs before. I'm a big guy, 6'0 260lbs, and the balance fits well. For me, with a 7mm farmer john, 5mm hood and gloves, it was a little difficult getting under the surface. I got 7mm jumpsuit and that solved that problem. It has handled very well in both quarries and warm salt water in the carribbean. The only quirk that I've found with the balance has been the tendency for air to get trapped in certain spots in the bladder, specially towards the bottom. Doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then I have to open the bottom dump valve to get that last bit of air out. It has been great for travelling also.

My dive buddy also has a balance and he really likes it also, but he got his hands on an old Zeagle (not the Ranger) in very good condition and very cheap from the owner of his LDS and he LOVES that. Hopefully I'll get to take it for a spin on our next dive.

Enjoy the Balance!

Hey Willy!

It's good to see that you're putting the old Balance to good use :D

To the op:

The Balance is a really nice back inflate BC and as you noticed is not as bulky as the Black Diamond. I would highly recommend it over the Black Diamond.

The only quirk that I've found with the balance has been the tendency for air to get trapped in certain spots in the bladder, specially towards the bottom. Doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then I have to open the bottom dump valve to get that last bit of air out.

You should start using the bottom dump-valve at all times when horizontal... It is much more convenient, as you don´t have to go vertical in the water to get air out.

Also, if you are thinking about another BCD, I would advise you very strongly to look further than the Zeagle, and at least test a sensible wing/backplate-rig. It is IMO a superior solution, and I can personally recommend the Halcyon Eclipse#30, even though there are several other rigs that are just as capable and pleasant to dive with a single-tank!

I'm about to buy a Black Diamond too. Can anyone help explain to me how you use the weight system to distribute an odd number - I use 7kg - so in 1 kg bits, how do I balance the trim evenly to both sides? I'm going to be travelling and plan to use the weights from ordinary dive belts from wherever I am...so 3 bits in either side, but where does the odd (seventh) one go? I'm sure I'm missing something simple...Many thanks for guidence.

I'm about to buy a Black Diamond too. Can anyone help explain to me how you use the weight system to distribute an odd number - I use 7kg - so in 1 kg bits, how do I balance the trim evenly to both sides? I'm going to be travelling and plan to use the weights from ordinary dive belts from wherever I am...so 3 bits in either side, but where does the odd (seventh) one go? I'm sure I'm missing something simple...Many thanks for guidence.

I tried on both, ended up buying the Balance and have a few dives with it. I'm not trying to sway your choice. I think that I would have been happy with either. I just like the less bulk that the balance had and the fact that it's easier to travel with.

Anyway, the weight systems are nearly identical. There is no way on either BC to center part of your weight. You'll pretty much have to find a pair 1/2kg or 1# weights to even it out.

Heck, pack 2 one pound soft weights in your luggage. I know that weight is at a premium when packing for a flight but we're only talking about 2 pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom