Sea&Sea 1G - White balance issues deeper than 40ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTeam#2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My other cameras allow me to take photos without a flash at any depth and still get the full color spectrum by simply white balancing at different depth intervals. My Sea & Sea 1G however does not wight balance at depths deeper then 40ft.

Anybody have any advice? Is this a defect?

You can't get the full color spectrum below 40ft.. there are no reds left at that depth. Strange it will not white-balance below 40ft, perhaps it needs a minimum light level, or a minimum amount of reds/oranges to white balance. For sure the camera doesn't know how deep it is! - Scott

I've got the sea and sea dx2g, and have taken it down to 90 foot. I believe the cameras are practically identical exact for a difference in the buffer that allows you to shoot back to back raw images without it wigging out.

Are you using the manual white balance feature, or letting it auto balance? You could just not bother balancing on the camera, and instead reset the levels using Photoshop or similar once you are back on dry land.

These are shots at 30m/90ft with the dx2.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150398144323694&l=838bfe4820
and

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150398127843694&l=1cab919903
if it s not within about six foot of your flash, you wont see any red on it.

As bluewater says, there's not a lot of red left at that depth if any at all.

Are you shooting RAW? An option is to take a picture of a white balance card for every 10 feet you go down then just correct in software.

Back
Top Bottom