Sea & Sea DX5000G Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just recently purchased the Sea & Sea DX5000G digital camera and just love it! I’ve rented the DX3000 camera for the past 2-3 years and have gotten wonderful results with it, so I finally decided to make the big jump to ownership.

I purchased the package through Island Photo and Video in Cozumel, Mexico. I have rented both film and digital cameras from Holly and Armando for years and when it came time to buy there was no question that I would give them my business, they are wonderful people and as both are professional photographers and videographers their experience has been invaluable through the years.

The camera package included the DX5000G, 5.13 Mega pixel digital camera, underwater housing, YS-25 external strobe lighting package, wide angle lens (really cool piece of hardware!!!!), 2 sync cords and a pelican case with foam core cut to fit all the pieces.

Buying through Holly it also included a personal one on one lesson from her on how to set the camera up for underwater use and proper maintenance.

I just returned from a 9-day trip to Cozumel where I got my lesson and got to use it for the first time. I found I had a little of a learning curve with it, especially using the wide angle lens, but by the end of I was getting the hang of it. I wish I would have had a couple more days of diving I think I would have really got some exceptional shots with just a little more practice.

For those who have used the DX3000, the 5000 is very similar in use, the buttons on the housing are true to the buttons on the camera, there is an “ADJ” (adjust) button that allows you to make setting adjustments on the fly, being my first time to use it, I just kept my settings where they were, but with time it will be a great tool.

The camera can be set up for point-n-shoot or for the experienced photographer, a manual mode is available, it also has a video mode like most digitals, a “scene” mode that allows you to set the camera for portrait, sports, landscape,nightscape, text mode, if you want to copy a text form and download it to your computer, and a high sensitivity mode. It also has a sound recording mode.

ISO settings from Auto to 64-1600, white balance, picture quality from normal 640 – a non-compressed “tiff” file NC2592. The view screen is larger than the 3000 and has and adjustment to make it brighter if needed, which you do for underwater photography. 28-85mm 3X optical zoom.

Of course I have to mention the Macro mode, essential for underwater photography, this baby will focus within 1/3 of an inch (10mm) of an object! Many more settings than I can list here. Visit www.seaandandsea.com for a full list of settings and specifications.

All in all I think this a great camera for any underwater enthusiast, especially the non-professional/vacation photographer.

I’m just getting into using it for above water photography, but I did get some really nice quality pics while I was on Coz, one nice sunset and very nice one of a cruise ship as we passed it on our way back from diving.

I have posted some images from this trip on my ScubaBoard gallery under the sub-gallery “Cozumel May 2005”. Enjoy the pics and I hope to have more to post as soon as I can get back into the water.

Thanks for the review. I own a DX3000 and have been eyeing the DX5000 as an upgrade. One problem I have is that from time to time the camera will have a soft focus. Like:

Out of curiosity, have you seen a similar problem on the 3000 or 5000?

I was down there the week before and rented the DX3000G from Holly. I agree, Holly and Armando are great - great service, assistance and just nice people. I mos tlikely will get the DX5000 as I like larger enlargements. Thanks for the review,

I think the soft focus problem is if you are using the point-n-shoot setup, the camera will make the decision on what to focus on. you have to get the crosshairs right in the exact place and when the crosshairs turn green to let you know you are in focus you have to shoot IMMIDIATLY or you may lose it a little.
I've made some shots that I would have been just fantastic but the camera picked the wrong thing, so to speak, I think it's just part of the learning curve of using digital.

dbeedle:
Thanks for the review. I own a DX3000 and have been eyeing the DX5000 as an upgrade. One problem I have is that from time to time the camera will have a soft focus. Like:

Out of curiosity, have you seen a similar problem on the 3000 or 5000?

I'm *guessing* that it Might be a question of show shutter speed rather than soft focus.

However focus is about the #1 problem with PnS cameras (or I should say, lack of focus).

There is nothing in sharp focus in this image, which is why I tend to believe it may have been a slow shutter.

What was the shutter setting and focal length?

RonFrank:
I'm *guessing* that it Might be a question of show shutter speed rather than soft focus.

However focus is about the #1 problem with PnS cameras (or I should say, lack of focus).

There is nothing in sharp focus in this image, which is why I tend to believe it may have been a slow shutter.

What was the shutter setting and focal length?

On this one:

Focal Length: 5.7 mm
▪ Aperture Value: F2.6
▪ White Balance Mode: Auto
▪ Flash: Flash did not fire
▪ Metering Mode: Multi-segment
▪ ISO Speed Ratings: 400
▪ Exposure Bias Value: 0
▪ Exposure Time: 1/310 sec
▪ Exposure Mode: Auto
▪ Max Aperture Value: F2.5
▪ Brightness Value: 4.1
▪ Sharpness: Normal

I've tried the different modes and have the problem from time to time regardless. With it without flash (like This one). I've also had shots with much slower shutter speeds that are sharp. If though it could be "stuff" in the water the camera sees and focuses on but it doesn't seem consistent. I've kinda written it off as something the camera does and something that is a trade off for this type of camera. Just hope it doesn't happen on those "good" shots!

You settings certainly do not indicate slow shutter as 1/310 should freeze just about anything UW.

I have the S70 (Canon) and find that focus is frustrating compared to my DSLR's.

One thing that MIGHT help is to up the aperture, and hope the DOF can help a bit, but that is NOT going to make the focal point any different, and of course one then looses shutter speed.

I notice that on the S70, it often can not find focus in dim light, but it does indicate that the camera is unable to focus. RU getting focus conformation, and it's still OOF?

If so, then I guess the camera must have found something to focus on?

Another possibility is that between the time the camera locks focus, and the time it fires (which is generally fairly quick but not compared to a DLSR) maybe the subject moves.

dbeedle:
On this one:

Focal Length: 5.7 mm
▪ Aperture Value: F2.6
▪ White Balance Mode: Auto
▪ Flash: Flash did not fire
▪ Metering Mode: Multi-segment
▪ ISO Speed Ratings: 400
▪ Exposure Bias Value: 0
▪ Exposure Time: 1/310 sec
▪ Exposure Mode: Auto
▪ Max Aperture Value: F2.5
▪ Brightness Value: 4.1
▪ Sharpness: Normal

I've tried the different modes and have the problem from time to time regardless. With it without flash (like This one). I've also had shots with much slower shutter speeds that are sharp. If though it could be "stuff" in the water the camera sees and focuses on but it doesn't seem consistent. I've kinda written it off as something the camera does and something that is a trade off for this type of camera. Just hope it doesn't happen on those "good" shots!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom