• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sea Shepherd has found the Japanese Whaling Fleet

Discussion in 'Marine Life & Ecosystems' started by cdreamer, Dec 31, 2010.

1. cdreamer

cdreamer Solo Diver

Currently "Gojira" is in Hobart for repair. As far as the Ady getting cut in half on purpose. I don't think anyone wanted to die for publicity.

2. ekremer

ekremer Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Didn't I hear this year, that the Japanese have Navy personnel on board. I hope this year it doesn't get ugly.

3. mike_s

mike_s Solo Diver

nah... I don't think they wanted to die either.

But they were willing to get hit for publicity and the video even shows prop cavitation of where they gave power to pull in front of it.

I mean, they were wearing drysuits in an enclosed cockpit. They were pretty prepared for going into the water.

I'm glad they didn't die doing it. But it did provide for good entertainment :thumb:

4. Potapko

Potapko Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    you mean uglier than trying to cause so much damage to a ship that they are willing to run you down to prevent your attack? :shakehead:

hopefully nobody dies for the cause

5. cdreamer

cdreamer Solo Diver

The Japanese have had armed personnel on the ships for the last couple of years. It is not new for this year. I believe they are Coast Guard, not totally sure though.

6. cdreamer

cdreamer Solo Diver

Yes, i checked, they do have armed Coast Guard personnel on the ships. They have been present for the last 2 or 3 years.

7. BDSC

BDSC Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    They must not be very good shots.

8. Allison Finch

Allison Finch Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Again, watch all the videos available, not just the highly edited one shown by the Japanese Govt.

9. mike_s

mike_s Solo Diver

I've watched most of them.

Still doesn't change the fact that they powered up and shows the prop cavitation from where they did.

Their own captain has admitted he pulled in front of the whaling ship.

seems pretty simple.....

As a note, the investigation maritime authority in New Zealand found them both at fault for not maintaining proper safe distances from each other.

10. BDSC

BDSC Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    So I just watched the videos again. Without any doubt at all, the Ady Gil was not out of fuel. You can plainly see the wake/churn from the Ady Gil as it moved along just before it was hit.

YouTube - Ady Gil Collision 3-way Split Screen