sea sickness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jax:

Drop/fly your BS flag all you want.........your opinion counts too, just like mine. I've put divers in the water (rollers, not white caps) many times, and it has helped when I check with the sick diver (and I've checked on them often).

I've never seen a diver sick at a safety stop, if they let the rode ride up and down through their hand grip, instead of hold on extremely tight. But I know I've haven't seen it all, so I guess there will be a time that I do (I hope not).

Don't forget to pick up/lower the flag at sunset......................

oh, yeah?!? Let's go diving! I've learned to take my reg out, spew, and put it back . . . coming up from my safety stop! :yuck: :lol: It's almost a guarentee I'll be sick coming up from the 1st dive, or immediately thereafter.

Those of us (me and two others I know) that have the elevator issue also find limited help in the meds.

Try asking your sick divers, who are calmed in the water, if they've taken meds. It'd be interesting to see if they have.

Look, I may joke about this stuff, and roll-eyes and such, but it's a significant drain on the divers' resources. Trying to stay hydrated while you're putting it all back overboard is not at all fun. However, you learn to handle it with as much grace and dignity as you can . . . and to not affect the rest of the boat if you can.

UT-OH............I think I may have upset you. It was not my intention at all. Just having a little SB fun. I can understand if you have the elevator problem. I haven't encountered it, but I'm sure you are effected by it (and your two other dive buddies too) if you say so. I looked at your profile, and see that you have spent plenty of time underwater. I have seen divers do well on the gerry line, but then starting to get hit again when they come back up the ladder. Maybe part of a mind thing, I don't know. I just don't want them to feel bad for the hours, when we are at the dive site. I've even had a guy get sick right on the ladder. Pulling 5 gallons of seawater out to rinse the ladder down for the other divers wasn't fun.

Personally, I don't reccommend meds for divers. I took dramamine once, and it didn't make me feel 100% to dive. It cost me the price for a very bouncy boat ride, and I never took anything other than what I mentioned in my previous posts again. Maybe I just have a bad reaction to that. Nor would I reccommend any diver to take any type of med. That's for a doctor to decide when participating in Scuba Diving. I don't want, or need the liability. We dive the North Atlantic. It's rough on many trips, but we get out on good days too. Our divers should expect this. I would welcome you and your family to come diving with us anytime. Whenever you are close to the east coast. send me a PM, maybe we can hook it up.

I see tht you ride with the nice picture of your bike. I figured that you guys did, with your avatar. I used to ride religiously, but SCUBA has had me fully engrossed for for many years. Anyway, one more expensive hobby, and my wife is not going to be too happy (We're DINKS too.)! Have fun, watch the cars, and keep the shiny side up. Safe diving to you.

oh, yeah?!? Let's go diving! I've learned to take my reg out, spew, and put it back . . . coming up from my safety stop! :yuck: :lol: It's almost a guarentee I'll be sick coming up from the 1st dive, or immediately thereafter.

Those of us (me and two others I know) that have the elevator issue also find limited help in the meds.

Try asking your sick divers, who are calmed in the water, if they've taken meds. It'd be interesting to see if they have.

Look, I may joke about this stuff, and roll-eyes and such, but it's a significant drain on the divers' resources. Trying to stay hydrated while you're putting it all back overboard is not at all fun. However, you learn to handle it with as much grace and dignity as you can . . . and to not affect the rest of the boat if you can.

I have been diving for many years and unfortunately I have been getting seasick the entire time. However, I do control it (or make it better) most of the time with meds. If I am diving Bonaire where there isn't much wave action I take the over the counter pills. If I am diving for example Hawaii or the Keys where I know there is lots of wave action then I use the "seasick patch" and it works well for me. One thing I do that helps is I always talk to the divemaster BEFORE I get on the boat. At that time I hand him a $10 and request that my gear be on the back of the boat so I can get in first. I explain that I may get a little seasick. He will usually switch my gear over for me between dives. He will do it real quick and no one notices. It is amazing what a little money will do! When I get on the boat I already have by skin/wetsuit on up to my waist with booties. I will lay my weight belt/fins under the bench where I am sitting and have my mask attached to my bcd. All this is done before we leave the dock. When the boat stops I am ready to go. I am in the water first and usually out of the water last. My husband is used to my routine and that really helps! He is one of those people whe never get seasick. Most of the time other divers don't realize that I am a seasick person!! But, alerting the divemaster is a good idea just in case you would need help. And, a "tip" doesn't hurt either. They always seen to appreciate it. And, I appreciatre the extra attention. And, it is money well spent. I usually add more at the end of the dive because most of the time they go out of their way to help me. And, they appreciate the fact I am not scrambling around trying to put gear together and get dressed while they are giving the site briefing. I hope this helps anyone out there that gets seasick. It is really a terrible feeling. ALWAYS TIP IN ADVANCE!!!!

Sorry guys.........double post by mistake

UT-OH............I think I may have upset you. It was not my intention at all. Just having a little SB fun. I can understand if you have the elevator problem. I haven't encountered it, but I'm sure you are effected by it (and your two other dive buddies too) if you say so. I looked at your profile, and see that you have spent plenty of time underwater. I have seen divers do well on the gerry line, but then starting to get hit again when they come back up the ladder. Maybe part of a mind thing, I don't know. I just don't want them to feel bad for the hours when we are at the dive site. I've even had a guy get sick right on the ladder. Pulling 5 gallons of seawater out to rinse the ladder down for the other divers wasn't fun.

Personally, I don't reccommend meds for divers. I took dramamine once, and it didn't make me feel 100% to dive. It cost me the price for a very bouncy boat ride, and I never took anything other than what I mentioned in my previous posts again. Maybe I just have a bad reaction to that. Nor would I reccommend any diver to take any type of med. That's for a doctor to decide when participating in Scuba Diving. I don't want, or need the liability. We dive the North Atlantic. It's rough on many trips, but we get out on good days too. Our divers should expect this. I would welcome you and your family to come diving with us anytime. Whenever you are close to the east coast. send me a PM, maybe we can hook it up.

I see that you ride with the nice picture of your bike. I figured that you guys did, with your avatar. I used to ride religiously, but SCUBA has had me fully engrossed for many years. Anyway, one more expensive hobby, and my wife is not going to be too happy (We're DINKS too.)! Have fun, watch the cars, and keep the shiny side up. Safe diving and riding to you.

UT-OH............I think I may have upset you.

Nah . . . I was poking fun back . . . like who wants to dive with a pukey diver? :wink: We're good!

There's a lot of different ways seasickness manifests, and a lot of different ways divers handle it. I just hope I've made it clear to those reading that people don't choose to be miserable, but sometimes it happens no matter what we do about it. Please don't hold it against us; we have enough to put up with for the privilege of diving. :)

on to the 4th page before any mention of Sea Bands? I get sick as he11 and the only thing that works for me is wearing those accu-pressure elastic bands. Proven by the Mayo Clinic to help women with morning sickness.

Just wanted to throw up (pun intended) an alternative to medications or patches.

http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm

Oh my, y'all are scaring me with all this seasick talk. :( I'm in the planning stages of getting certified and it would probably ruin my dive if someone was puking off the boat or in the water near me. I've been on lots and lots of boats and ships and have luckily never experienced any kind of nausea. But, I am a sympathy puker so if someone around me is upchucking, I'm going to feel like joining in.

I had no idea so many scuba divers were prone to this. I'd think you guys would have some seasoned sea legs on you, but I guess no one is immune.

Seriously, how many times have you been on a dive boat when this happened to you or someone around you. I may have to reconsider this sport if I'm going to be surrounded by hurling divers. :shakehead:

Oh my, y'all are scaring me with all this seasick talk. :( I'm in the planning stages of getting certified and it would probably ruin my dive if someone was puking off the boat or in the water near me. I've been on lots and lots of boats and ships and have luckily never experienced any kind of nausea. But, I am a sympathy puker so if someone around me is upchucking, I'm going to feel like joining in.

I had no idea so many scuba divers were prone to this. I'd think you guys would have some seasoned sea legs on you, but I guess no one is immune.

Seriously, how many times have you been on a dive boat when this happened to you or someone around you. I may have to reconsider this sport if I'm going to be surrounded by hurling divers. :shakehead:

No worries, Di! The ones that have a problem have learned to deal with it gracefully . . . you probably won't even know it!

The others? :idk: They may not know they have a problem. It isn't that common.

You won't be surrounded... But it does happen sometimes that someone gets sick. I too, am a sympathy heaver. The worst sea have no effect on me, but let me see someone else heave...... or smell, or hear too close.......... I also am ona boat 3 to 4 days a week. Just run like hell form the sick guy. You don't have to hold his hair, just leave him alone. It shouldn't mess up you or your dive. Have a little sympathy for the poor guy- from a distance.:D

I get so tired of people who have no clue saying that sea sickness is "all in the mind".
Clearly you know nothing about seasickness.

Well, physiologically... it is all in your mind.

That's not saying it dismissively. It's caused by your brain not being able to process the conflicting input between what you're seeing and what you're feeling. The result is "All systems - REVERSE!"

That's not to say that you can "will it away" but for many people it is possible to acclimate to being on a boat. A lot of new divers are particularly susceptible because they are already anxious, in a new environment, unfamiliar smells/movements, etc. Hell, a lot of new divers gearing up at picnic tables at our local quarry look to be on the verge of hurling before there first few dives!

:shocked2:

Yes, physiologically, it is the miscommunication between the eyes and ears. Many people who don't get sea sick/understand sea sickness try to tell those of us who do that it's all in your mind. Insinuating that we just think ourselves in to throwing up and feeling miserable all day. Not!

As for the original post....
I use Bonine to the full extent of recommeded dosage every morning. Dramamine and the scopalamine patch don't work for me. Sipping ice cold water on the boat is helpful to me as well. By the 3rd or 4th day of a trip I have adjusted and no longer get sea sick. I usually have some sea sickness the first days of any trip if the seas are not flat.
Stay out of the head and the cabin- when you are prone to sea sickness- the devil lives in there.

Clearly it is a physiological occurrence, but it's how the brain interprets this is how we deal with it.

Being ill is just the body's protection system flushing as it feels it's being poisoned in some way. So, if we're not being poisoned we're clearly mis-reading the signals and providing wrong information. In the brain.

People get over sea-sickness over time. Some don't admittedly, but others do.

If this tires you out so much, please take a nap. :wink:<snip>.
There's nothing wrong with quick & easy somatic remedies/medications for sea sickness, but you can break the dependency on them over time with self-hypnosis/visualization only, building up in the process your own "psychosomatic tolerance".

The motivation is to do all means cognitively to help yourself without any over-the-counter drugs (and the side-effects they can produce), but only seek professional help with prescribed medication as necessary when those avenues, methods of self-help are not viable.

Here again is the method and the logic behind using the cognitive visualization technique which I've posted about in few boards including several threads in the past here on Scubaboard:
Most people don't get motion sickness while driving a car or piloting a boat/plane; the reason being because you're directly effecting the action of the vessel, you see what actions you have to take to steer a clear passage, you anticipate and react to the dynamic forces that result from such actions. Your mind/body kinesthetics are synchronized, your vestibular senses unconfounded, and you don't develop the nausea associated with motion sickness.

Here's how to achieve that state as a passenger on a diveboat:

Look not only at the Horizon, but also at the railing of the boat in the foreground --and see how it all moves relative to each other as the boat makes way through the swells. Memorize that movement and close your eyes, feel the boat's rhythm moving through the swells, and "see" that railing/horizon movement in your mind's eye. Anticipate where that railing/horizon orientation will be when you open your eyes . . .and finally open your eyes to see it and confirm it. Convince your mind and inner ear that you are in dynamic motion based on your sense of balance, tactile/kinesthetic feedback, and coordinating-synchronizing it all with the movement pattern of the railing/horizon which you just memorized. . .

In other words . . .don't anticipate being seasick --anticipate being in control, knowing & feeling what the boat's motion is going to be. With practice of this simple visualization, you can even "quell the queasiness" in the roughest sea conditions --all without any medication of any kind.

Again --All you gotta do is look at the horizon, see how it moves relative to the boat's motion and memorize that pattern, and then get a feeling for the rhythm of the swells and synchronize it with horizon's motion. Now when you go down belowdecks, just play it all back in your "mind's eye" as you begin to feel & anticipate the boat's apparent motion --or even imagine the boat belowdecks is transparent and you can actually see the horizon & swells in sync with the boat's apparent motion-- it's all just visualization without medication and it works!

That's the visualization technique you gotta practice, and unfortunately it's difficult to do if you're concentrating on something else like setting up your gear, reading a book, watching a video, worrying about running out of ginger pills/dramamine/bonine etc. But once you get good at it, you can hold the malaise to a reasonable level even in stormy seas --a "four" for instance on a scale from 1 to 10, with "ten" being projectile vomiting, extreme nausea, hugging the rail and begging for someone to shoot you . . . (In my thirty hour passage from mainland Costa Rica to Cocos Island, I was cognitively exhausted performing the technique over an extended period, and just simply fell asleep naturally). . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom