Sea Snake and Gobies from Dauin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am lucky to spend these days on Negros Island, in the Philippines, just north of the muck diving capital of Dauin. Diving conditions have been great lately, and I managed to get some decent shots.

I black and whited this banded sea snake, I think that works well in this case. I followed the snake to 35 m on its way over the rubble.

vlcsnap00028-2.jpg

I always love shooting gobies, of course. This one was perching on a large invertebrate. Can you guess which one?
PB300092.jpg

This is Trimma halonevum, or a closely related species. These live in crevices, and hover upside-down. Not easy to shoot.
PB250070.jpg

What do you do if the snake decides it doesn't like being followed😜

Swim away very fast, fins facing the snake. But that has never happened.
Channel your inner Michael Phelps👍

Sea snakes on the whole are very passive to divers. I encounter them frequently in the Gulf of Oman but rarely have the opportunity to get decent photos :(

I prefer to keep the poisonous snakes on two axis, three degrees of freedom is one too many.😁

Photos look great! Completely up to your discretion but I like to eliminate backscatter using the heal function in lightroom. I'm still new to UW photography so if you have a stylistic reason to leave it in please let me know

Photos look great! Completely up to your discretion but I like to eliminate backscatter using the heal function in lightroom. I'm still new to UW photography so if you have a stylistic reason to leave it in please let me know
Yes, good point. I use GIMP, but it can do the same thing. I don't edit much if the backscatter isn't too unsightly, no bigger reason than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom