Sea Wasps - Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SayNo2Snow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was on another website where a diver was listing the marine life he observed on a dive on the west side up near Westpunt. One critter was Sea Wasps.

When I looked up what they were I discovered they are highly poisonous. A responder to his post stated that these highly poisonous Sea Wasps are only found in the Pacific (Asia and Australia) that this stinging cousin is not as hazardous.

Can anyone weigh in on whether one needs to keep an eye open for these poisonous jellies or if it was a case of mis identification of a jelly? :(

Thanks a bunch for your assistance
Ann

I've heard someone scream in pain on Bonaire and seen the local sea wasps at night. They are a box jelly with 4 short tentacles and are easily avoided. They are attracted by lights at night on shore, so they will be seen in the shalows getting in and out. It's not unusual for someone stung to go to the hospital for treatment. Use your dive light ahead and above in the shallow water when entering and exiting--and look before you leap...............

I would agree this is related to the dangerous sea wasps of the South Pacific. I saw some box jellies in Roatan when I was there. A stinging jellyfish none the less but nothing like a sea wasp.

My wife was badly stung by a sea wasp on Bonaire. The encounter pretty much ended her dive vacation.

While not nearly as deadly as the box jelly fish found off Australia, you really don't want to meet one.

First, sea wasps like light and are the most active with a full moon. Second, the week after a full moon they congregate in lighted areas like docks and piers. They are not a big problem during the day, but on a night dive you need to take precautions.

Dive in a full wet suit, or skin, gloves and hood. Even something as thin as panty hose or a good smear of vasoline will protect you.

If it is a light sting, shave the area and treat with vinegar. If you get badly stung, head for the ER and beg for serious pain killers.

Thanks a bunch for your help, we will be sure to keep an eye out.

Aproximately how large/long are they? I get a sense that they are about 1" box with 3" - 4 " tentacales, but that is just a guess

Ann & Lorne

thanks for your information we will be sure to keep an eye out for them

That is the size of the ones I have seen in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean variety of Sea Wasp is not as potent as the ones we hear about in the Pacific, but they'll still light you up, leave scars and may send you to the hospital.
I haven't heard of any deaths from them, but I reckon a sting can definitely ruin your entire day.
Rick

They can get up to 4" long in the body. In addition, DAN has one recorded death from a Sea Wasp sting.

They definitely have a type of sea wasp in the caribbean. I was diving in Belize, staying at the Hamanasi Resort. All of their diving was by boat as they had no house reef....just mud bottom. I asked if I could do a night dive on their dock. They told me no one had ever done that before (it was a while ago). So, I got my camera, strobes and focus light and jumped in. There were all kinds of eels, fish, crabs etc. I pointed my rig up and, lo and behold, my focus light fixed on a small box jelly(sea wasp) swimming JUST over my head. I said OH SHI%% and immediately left the water.

Out of curiosity, I tied a dive light to a rope and dropped it in the water holding it near the surface. We "called" eleven box jellies that were drawn to the light. It was fascinating watching them zig zag from one side of the light beam to the other, stalking the other critters drawn to the lights, too. They were swimming fast and with definite purpose. I later found out about the eyes they possess.

Pretty cool, but I was sure glad I got out of the water....OUCH!!

Here are some very poor photos of them

2089752776_2b9a3ca053_o.jpg

2089752752_fd09ceee3f_o.jpg

You can see a number of them in the wide light beam

2089752780_35a929987e_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom