Sea Wasps - Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a liveaboard last summer in the Bahamas. We were on a night dive and had been warned about the sea wasps. They said if you got stung it was like a bee sting. While swimming under the boat back to the dive platform I had one wrap around my neck. Yeah, it felt like a bee sting alright, if it were 1000 bees at once, and you got them off by scrubbing them with a wire bristle brush, and then tried to relieve the pain by pouring sulfuric acid on it. It hurt for three days, and then worse, believe it or not, itched insanely for five more. Six months later I still have marks around my throat like someone tried to kill me with a garotte. It didn't stop me from night diving any more, but now I wear a full lycra skin complete with a lycra hood....
When you surface take your octopus and blast air out using the purge valve--it's supposed to blow then out of the way as you ascend. The rest of the trip the crew could always tell when I was coming up because the water looked like it was boiling....

Sea Wasp is a common name for more than one box jelly. As is often the case with common names, Sea Wasp is used in different parts of the world for different critters.

The Sea Wasp found in the Caribbean , usually Alatina alata is toxic, and certainly inconvenient, but not typically life-threatening. From personal experience the sting feels similar to that of a wasp.
Alatina alata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Australia, Sea Wasp refers to Chironex fleckeri which inflicts excruciating pain, and can kill in minutes.
see: Chironex fleckeri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are other box jellies in the Caribbean, including a fairly recently named one:
New Caribbean species: the Bonaire banded box jellyfish, aka Tamoya ohboya | Green Antilles

As far as I know, none of the box jellies found in the Caribbean are normally considered deadly.

Wrong.
Irukandji has been found worldwide and there has been a confirmed attack/near death in Florida. Yes, the most common stings from "sea wasps" are by the lessor box species.

Irukandji is MUCH more venomous than Fleckeri.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom