Seabase trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm the advisor for a Venture crew. For those of you not familiar with Venture crews, it's a co-ed Boy Scout unit.
We're planning on going to Seabase in Florida next summer to get Open Water certified and I was wondering if someone who has been there could provide some information.
1)Should I have the kids get wetsuits? Some of the threads on this site indicate a wet suit isn't necessary in the summer, but that appeared to be coming from an adult male. I'm concerned about the 15-16 year old females going on the trip. I'm also concerned about the over-the-hill advisor (me).
2)Two of the boys have been snorkeling in Hawai'i, but nobody else has any snorkeling or scuba experience. Is there anything I can do to get the kids ready?

markr:
I'm the advisor for a Venture crew. For those of you not familiar with Venture crews, it's a co-ed Boy Scout unit.
We're planning on going to Seabase in Florida next summer to get Open Water certified and I was wondering if someone who has been there could provide some information.
1)Should I have the kids get wetsuits? Some of the threads on this site indicate a wet suit isn't necessary in the summer, but that appeared to be coming from an adult male. I'm concerned about the 15-16 year old females going on the trip. I'm also concerned about the over-the-hill advisor (me).
2)Two of the boys have been snorkeling in Hawai'i, but nobody else has any snorkeling or scuba experience. Is there anything I can do to get the kids ready?

There is no need for a wetsuit. I was at Seabase June of this year and it was 84 degrees. All of our divers 14-15 year olds wore only shorts and t-shirts. Sea base gets a high reccomendation from me. I hope to go back next year when my son will be old enough to go, he is certified but you have to be 14 to go to seabase. Snorkeling experience would be gtreat but is not necessary.

markr:

I too wouldn't say they are required and you can dive all summer without a wetsuit and be fine in 83 to 88 degree water. However, you mentioned girls going. Girls seem to get "colder" quicker than boys. They might get a little chilled. A shortie would provide all the thermal protection anyone would need.

Also wearing a shortie or a dive skin protects them some against sunburn, coral burns (fire coral), jelly fish, etc. So it's not a bad thing to have some sort of protection. You can buy a 2/3mm shortie very economically in the $50 range.

One more note. ScubaPolly here on Scubaboard works at SeaBase. PM her. I'm sure she can answer manyof your questions.

-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom