Seac drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richboslice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My instructor deals in Seac. I want to get my first dry suit soon. he says the Seac needs a fix right out of the gate. something about the rings. He'said offering the suit for $1200 which includes the class. he said they are good after the fix but it seems like Seac may not have the best customer service. anyone have experience with Seac drysuits or Seac in general. any recommendations for a different suit. I think the class will cost me $200 if I go another route but i'd rather spend more on a quality set up if need be, to get something worthwhile

USIA drysuit. Your instructor is robbing you (my opinion) as we have a shop here in the Atlanta area that is basically fire selling those SEAC suits for like $500. But if you are buying new you can't beat the USIA drysuits, if you are buying used (which can be a great savings) just make sure the zipper is good and the suit does not leak.

And depending on your size, something like this is great.

For Sale - Whites fusion tech

Always look in our marketplace for Exposure suits. This will give you a good idea of what is out there.

USIA drysuit. Your instructor is robbing you (my opinion) as we have a shop here in the Atlanta area that is basically fire selling those SEAC suits for like $500. But if you are buying new you can't beat the USIA drysuits, if you are buying used (which can be a great savings) just make sure the zipper is good and the suit does not leak.

Agreed on the USIA suits. I have a new custom one I've got about 10 dives on. No leaks. Through Dive Right in Scuba, a Techniflex is $1399 base price. Custom is only $150 more. Plus any other options, such as the user replaceable neck and wrist seals. Love mine. :)

What shop in Atlanta?

Calling out the actual shop is not important. If you are looking for those suits they are easy to find. They are neoprene and of the non-crushed variety, so it will basically wear like a wetsuit and wear out like a wetsuit. I would not recommend SEAC gear when it comes to drysuits. I have the WarmFlex wetsuit and love it but you could not get me in their drysuits.

I have some friends who dive the Seac Warm Dry drysuits. They are a crushed neoprene drysuit and they have had good luck with them. I have not bought one but from my experience the neoprene suits hold up better than the shell suits. I am thinking about buying a Seaskin neoprene suit as they are custom made and you can get whatever type of seals you want. I personally prefer latex. A drysuit class is a joke. Just don't put anymore air in them than needed to prevent the suit squeezing. A neoprene suit is easier to dive to me as it fits tighter and you don't have the large air bubble to manage like you do in a shell suit. You can get the Seac suit for less than 1k by the way.

I have some friends who dive the Seac Warm Dry drysuits. They are a crushed neoprene drysuit and they have had good luck with them. I have not bought one but from my experience the neoprene suits hold up better than the shell suits. I am thinking about buying a Seaskin neoprene suit as they are custom made and you can get whatever type of seals you want. I personally prefer latex. A drysuit class is a joke. Just don't put anymore air in them than needed to prevent the suit squeezing. A neoprene suit is easier to dive to me as it fits tighter and you don't have the large air bubble to manage like you do in a shell suit. You can get the Seac suit for less than 1k by the way.

Interesting. Have you actually owned a shell suit?

I have a Bare XCS2 Tech, which is "hyper-compressed" neoprene and I have a Waterproof D9X, which is a shell suit. On the surface, the Bare definitely fits closer/tighter. Once in the water, squeeze results in the shell suit fitting tighter and, for me, between my two suits, the shell suit ends up with less air moving around inside and is easier to manage buoyancy and trim. I've had my Bare suit for a year and a half and the Waterproof for about 2 months, so it's not a case of needing to "get used to" the Bare or anything.

Interesting. Have you actually owned a shell suit?

I have a Bare XCS2 Tech, which is "hyper-compressed" neoprene and I have a Waterproof D9X, which is a shell suit. On the surface, the Bare definitely fits closer/tighter. Once in the water, squeeze results in the shell suit fitting tighter and, for me, between my two suits, the shell suit ends up with less air moving around inside and is easier to manage buoyancy and trim. I've had my Bare suit for a year and a half and the Waterproof for about 2 months, so it's not a case of needing to "get used to" the Bare or anything.

Yes I have a DUI Tls 350. The shell suits use lofty undergarments for insulation while in the North Florida caves with 69-72 degree water I can dive with Merino Wool hiking underwear with my crushed neoprene drysuit even though it is a pos Pinnacle Black Ice and the seams can't be fixed due to the stupid idea of laminating Merino Wool to the inside of it. I definitely do not have to put anywhere near the air into my neoprene suit that I do my DUI. Managing the air bubble in the DUI is not extremely hard but definitely is something that I don't have to do in my neoprene suit.

Maybe that's a difference. I am using my suits in the local quarry, where it's usually 37 -38F on the bottom. But, my undergarments are Fourth Element Arctic gear which are not what I'd call "lofty". Very warm, but totally not puffy like some other undies I've seen. I'd almost describe them as "dense". Thick and heavy. Warm, without holding so much air.

In 69F water, I would also just wear Merino hiking type underwear - under my shell suit.

My neo suit does not squeeze down and feel like it's shrink-wrapped onto my body the way my shell suit does. Thus, it always seems like it has that little bit of extra air inside that is in the nooks and crannies of the neoprene that doesn't squeeze down like the shell does.

Back
Top Bottom