seafood in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK...I am starving for the food in Coz and won't be there for months yet!

But, what I would like to know is not where to find the best seafood (looks like you can hardly go wrong), but how ocean friendly is the seafood?

There are very few types of seafood I will here in Australia at restaurants as I do not agree with the commercial fishing techniques in place for many types. Same when I am in the US - I am very particular about where and what I will eat regarding seafood.

Does anyone have any information on the above or know of where I can go to find out? Thanks very much!

BTW...this is not a thread for debate on techniques or other harmful practices...just trying to make informed decisions :)

alcina:
OK...I am starving for the food in Coz and won't be there for months yet!

But, what I would like to know is not where to find the best seafood (looks like you can hardly go wrong), but how ocean friendly is the seafood?

There are very few types of seafood I will here in Australia at restaurants as I do not agree with the commercial fishing techniques in place for many types. Same when I am in the US - I am very particular about where and what I will eat regarding seafood.

Does anyone have any information on the above or know of where I can go to find out? Thanks very much!

BTW...this is not a thread for debate on techniques or other harmful practices...just trying to make informed decisions :)

Alcina,

I wouldnt worry about the sea food here. It is mostly caught still by local fishermen and is brought to certain restaurants daily. La Perlita is a restaurant off the beaten path that receives its fish daily from local fishermen. Some lobster must be imported as the demand would outnumber the supply at times. i do not think that there is a site out there that keeps track of tonnage of fish caught per year in cozumel

alcina:
Thanks for the note.

Anyone know where the majority of the shrimp/prawns come from? Local waters? Imported from?

The shrimp/prawns in Cozumel are not caught locally. It is my understanding that they come from the Gulf of Mexico.

Another really good locals type place is Santa Carlos. It's only open for lunch but the fish is locally caught and extremely fresh. If you want, they'll let you walk into the kitchen and pick out the fish you want them to cook for you.

They sell a lot of to go orders of both cooked and fresh fish but in back are a couple tables where you can dine in. The conch ceviche is usually very fresh and a single serving at $40 pesos is an ample appetizer for a table of 6. A plate lunch with a fillet entrée is $45-$50 pesos. A whole fried fish for one starts at around $60 pesos but can go higher depending on the weight.

The easiest way to get to Santa Carlos is to drive east out Calle 11 past 30 and take a left onto Ave. 50B. That will be the second Ave. 50 you come to. Santa Carlos is on the right between A.R. Salas and Calle 3.

Joel

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_restaurants.html

Thanks for the restaurant tips...we are going for 14 nights so will be sure to check out as many places as possible!

I am really trying to make sure that the places we do choose to eat are buying from responsible fisheries (not longliners, not those who not use exclusionary devices etc)...I do not know anything about the Gulf shrimp industry, but now have a place to start looking for information. Thank you.

Alcina,
I agree with everyone else, most of the fish is locally fished and very fresh, shrimp and prawns are from the Gulf of Mexico and could be commercally fished but most Gulf shrimpers are small family owned boats.
some other good seafood places are Casa Denis specallizing in snapper, Capt. Navagante specallizing in grouper, and of course our favorite restaurant on the island Prima's a northern itallian fair with several really good seafood items as well as nightly specials. The owner is a real character, I don't know if y'all eat much pizza down under, but they have good pie there also.
hope you have a great trip, we're headed down the first week of September ourselves and can't wait to get back.

God bless,
sharky

Another great "locals" kind of seafood place is Conchita del Caribe back on 65 Ave between 21 & 23 ~ you can pick your own fresh fish out of the cooler and they will cook it any way you like right on the spot. Have excellent ceviche mixtos, big shrimp and great lobster too but in a real "locals" kind of atmosphere. Sundays this place is covered up with folks coming by for "take out." Try mid-week afternoons.

Cafe Denis does a great whole fried fish and there used to be (3 yrs ago) a "New Orleans" style restaurant that did great crab dishes. They were loaded with crab.

Back
Top Bottom