Seal Clubbing - What do Canadian Divers Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Today I came across a video of seals being clubbed in Norther Canada. Like most ignorant Americans, I had let this practice slip into the back of my mind. The film, though very one-sided, really left an impression on me, since just last week I was happily hunting with a pack of harbor seals.

What are your thoughts, Canadian divers? Does it bother you? Is it just a tradition that you don't see going away?

Wardric? :popcorn:

We've been down this road before on the seal hunt. At the end of the day emotions and politics de-rail a open conversation.

Being Canadian and with my folks living in Northern Newfoundland and having many people I know who actually participate in the hunt my views are pro hunt.

Unfortunately seal hunting is necessary in the exact same way deer are treated in the US and elsewhere, as a cull of the herd. Due to the decline in cod ( a main food source) and the rabbit like ability of seals to reproduce the hunt is needed to reduce mass starvation and disease. In addition it may help the cod population rebound and provides a living to the hunters

:popcorn: I agree where is Wardric. . .

cerich:
We've been down this road efore on the seal hunt. At the end of the day emotions and politics derail a open conversation.

Being Canadian and with my folks living in Northern Newfoundland and having many people I know who actually participate in the hunt my views are pro hunt.

Unfortuantly seal hunting is necessary in the exact same way deer are treated in the US and elsewhere, as a cull of the herd. Due to the decline in cod ( a main food source) and the rabbit like ability of seals to reproduce the hunt is needed to reduce mass starvation and diesease. In addition it may help the cod population rebound and provides a living to the hunters

Great Post!

It's well documented that Cod population has ben descimated by overfishing and bottom trolling which kill the reefs. I must be missing something here, but I can't see why culling seal will help cod population rebound.

Furthermore, there are better ways of killing seal than clubbing them to death. I've never been on a deer hunt before, but I can assure you they don't club them to death.

I'm not against keeping the seal population in check to protect against disease or starvation , but there are much better ways of going about it don't you think?

cbborromeo:
It's well documented that Cod population has ben descimated by overfishing and bottom trolling which kill the reefs. I must be missing something here, but I can't see why culling seal will help cod population rebound.

Furthermore, there are better ways of killing seal than clubbing them to death. I've never been on a deer hunt before, but I can assure you they don't club them to death.

I'm not against keeping the seal population in check to protect against disease or starvation , but there are much better ways of going about it don't you think?

I agree 100% as to the why of the cod decline! That being said th decline is a fact and it is possible that cod may very well end up extinct, if they do the seals will follow, make no mistake about it. The seal hunt does provide relief on cod stocks that runs into the millions of cod per year. Seals eat lots of cod...

You are aware that hogs are killed with a hammer, high volume hog farms just use a pneumatic version. It's quick and as humane as it gets. Having seen both clubs and guns (.22 and .223's) used to hunt seals it has been my personal experience that a club in the hand of a experienced hunter is much more humane to the animal than a gun. The club kills them instantly, the gun kills them but it normally takes between 1-5 mins. A larger caliber would do the killing better but destroy the value of the meat and fur.

There isn't a pretty way to kill any animal, when you throw in how beautiful seals are it will always be an ugly picture, however every hunter I know wants to do it as humane as possible.

cbborromeo:
I've never been on a deer hunt before, but I can assure you they don't club them to death.

It sicken me and most serious deer hunters (which I'm not but hunted with many when I was younger) but there are MANY hunters who don't manage to kill a deer with one shot and the deer suffers. Even worse there are "hunters" who will shot and not kill a deer who don't bother to follow and kill the animal because they know the meat is ruined when you don't kill them cleanly.

I'm here :wink:

yes overfishing is an important part of the cod decline. But the seal population is blooming like pigeons in europe. Here is a link that explain some myths about the seal hunt:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/myth_e.htm

from that site:

According to a 2004 survey, the Northwest Atlantic harp seal population is now estimated at approximately 5.8 million animals, nearly triple what it was in the 1970s

And clubbing is the most humane way to kill a seal. It's instantaneous unlike a bullet or an arrow. I hunt deer myself but I aint fast enough to club one. :wink:

also from the site:

A 2002 report published in the Canadian Veterinary Journal found that the club or hakapik is an efficient tool designed to kill the animal quickly and humanely.

and before someone mentions it, baby seals (the white fluffy cudly ones) are not allowed to be killed. from the site:

The image of the whitecoat harp seal is used prominently by seal hunt opponents. This image gives the false impression that vulnerable seal pups are targeted by sealers during the commercial hunt.

The hunting of harp seal pups (whitecoats) and hooded seal pups (bluebacks) is illegal – and has been since 1987. Marine Mammal Regulations prohibit the trade, sale or barter of the fur of these pups. Furthermore, adult seals cannot be harvested when they are in breeding or birthing grounds and younger seals must be weaned, self-reliant and independent.

Dont let the videos fool you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom