Seal Island False Bay or Shark Alley Gansbaai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkly

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all
I am booking the great experiece with White Shark in South Africa. I have receive few offer by local diving operator. But now i cannot decide!
I would like to do a Diving Cage with White shark but i don't know which place is the best. I know that there are 3 operators in Seal Island , and 8 in Shark Alley Gansbaai. The diving in Seal Island are more cheaper and I am asking myself the reason why....
Do you know if the amount of great white sharks is the same in both places?

thanks fro your help!
:14:

Gansbaai is by far the more popular venue for cage diving . Don't know why there is a price discrepancy though , couldn't get any info for you today , will try again tomorrow .

...maybe because in Seal Island there are less sharks than in Gansbaai? I would like to make underwater video and photo and I need to be sure that in one diving day I will be able to see white sharks....

Not sure on the prices....Gansbaai is your best bet (IMHO a better allround experience), the viz around Seal Island can be a bit iffy but then again the GW's don't care about the viz LOL ;-) !!!

whatdecostop?:
Not sure on the prices....Gansbaai is your best bet (IMHO a better allround experience), the viz around Seal Island can be a bit iffy but then again the GW's don't care about the viz LOL ;-) !!!

I always thought the viz. usually was better around Seal Island? It was rather murky around Dyer Island when I visited.

/c

Christian
Not necessarily so, False Bay has a notion of being temperamental weather wise (or rather the winds) .....we get SE's in the summer and W/NW/SW in the winter months but lately it just has all been messed up.

There are a number of wrecks and one specifically not very far from Seal Island and I can tell you the viz has sucked big time. Anyway just my 2c worth.

I think the reason that there are only three operators in False Bay is that our Marine and Coastal Management would only issue three permits for GW shark operators in the area .

I have dived the Fleur refered to in the above post and had around 25m viz - so that is not an issue . Also spoken to people that have had top to bottom viz in Gansbaai .

Bottom line - Gansbaai is probably your best bet , nobody can guarentee good viz .

I'm off to my dive club tonite and if I can remember I will ask about best conditions .

What time of year are you going to be here ? Very important regarding viz .

whatdecostop?:
Christian
Not necessarily so, False Bay has a notion of being temperamental weather wise (or rather the winds) .....we get SE's in the summer and W/NW/SW in the winter months but lately it just has all been messed up.

There are a number of wrecks and one specifically not very far from Seal Island and I can tell you the viz has sucked big time. Anyway just my 2c worth.

Ok. Never dived in False Bay or near Seal Island. It was Rick Martin from Reef Quest who told me when I asked why they chose Seal Island and not Dyer Island for their expeditions. He said one reason is that many of their guests are photographers and fimmakers, so they preffered SI because chances of good wiz. was slightly better there than around Dyer Island.

/christian

Also your chances of seeing / filming "Air Jaws" is better around Seal Island - that's why the photographic expeditions go there .

Hi all
I have asked my friend who was in South Africa last year.
He said that Seal Island and Shark Alley Gansbaai are in the same bay. I don't know if it is the truth. I will go in the middle of August. I am in touch with Andre' Hartman and i think he is an expert of diving with white shark.
What do you think abut it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom