Sealed video camera housing in-flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newfldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are traveling to Belize in a week and are carrying our Ikelite video housing along with the camera in a Pelican case. Would the presurized aircraft affect the video camera if it's sealed in the camera housing? Normally aircraft are presurized to 11,000' while traveling at 35,000'. Would this affect a sealed housing?

Edit: I was wrong, see better answer next post...

It is designed to seal liquids to start with, second its designed to seal pressure not vacuum.

So at altitude the air MAY slowly leak out, then when you decend it MAY seal the housing and it can be an SOB to get it open again. TRUST ME, don't ask.

You can close the housing without the oring in and be ok.

I have heard of housing that seal shut and cant be opened. Now I always keep the housing door open not all the way just enough to not seal. But that's just me. Mark

I agree - have had issues opening my housing after flight and rather than force the housing open I now remove the o-rings prior to.

it can be a problem with other o-ring sealed things. I have a heck of a time opening my drybox after flying too. I tend to pry it open with my dive knife; wouldn't want to try that with a housing. :wink:

It is designed to seal liquids to start with, second its designed to seal pressure not vacuum.

So at altitude the air MAY slowly leak out, then when you decend it MAY seal the housing and it can be an SOB to get it open again. TRUST ME, don't ask.

You can close the housing without the oring in and be ok.
Thanks for the superior answer. Now I know why that happens to me. :silly: Guess I need to leave mine open. Had hell getting one of them open last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom