sealing my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Mask Seal" resembles Vaseline and probably IS Vaseline repackaged with a jacked up price. Chapstick works OK, plus the "diver's trim" on the 'stache. As others have said, just clear frequently, which gives you a better view than any no-fog anyway. I have a 'stache and usually leave a little water in my mask. Tilt your head down and up, and you have a perfect view. It's easy to get used to.

"Mask Seal" resembles Vaseline and probably IS Vaseline repackaged with a jacked up price.

There's something about "Vaseline" and "Jacked" in the same sentence that just rubs me the wrong way. I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

33nktic.gif

You guys must be Neanderthals with hair on your checks or forehead? Mustaches don't cause mask leaks! 38 years and 5000 dives and it ain't the hair! It is the mask and your skin at the TOP of the mask! Air leaks out the top not the bottom and water can't get in unless air goes out! Physics is a Biotch!

600_IMG_3403_Self_Portrait_T_C_A_II_07.jpg

At the top is a bubble of air escaping from my wrinkled brow! How would the air get out around my stash?

"Mask Seal" resembles Vaseline and probably IS Vaseline repackaged with a jacked up price. Chapstick works OK, plus the "diver's trim" on the 'stache. As others have said, just clear frequently, which gives you a better view than any no-fog anyway. I have a 'stache and usually leave a little water in my mask. Tilt your head down and up, and you have a perfect view. It's easy to get used to.

I could be wrong, but from what I remember from HS chemistry, Vaseline is a petroleum product, which should not be used in conjunction with the silicone seal on a mask. It will cause clouding of the silicone and possibly cause the silicone to prematurely dry out. this wouldn't be an issue if the mask seal is rubber based. I imagine the commercially available mask seal products are a silicone or other base gel.

Just my 2 cents :coffee:

You guys must be Neanderthals with hair on your checks or forehead? Mustaches don't cause mask leaks! 38 years and 5000 dives and it ain't the hair! It is the mask and your skin at the TOP of the mask! Air leaks out the top not the bottom and water can't get in unless air goes out! Physics is a Biotch!

Sometimes divers are not "head up vertical".

I found that I got a much better seal once I shaved the 'stache.

Don't use anything but a good mask free of head hear and as flat on your skin as possible! A friend of mine who was a Navy Diver and has close to 5000 dives!
600_IMG_3503_Wiley_faces_Trunkfish_W_Caicos_T_K_A_II_07.jpg

It's your face and you can put Elmer's on it if you want, but it won't make a difference!

Using a camera I am in all directions and it is funny that physics work no matter which way point your head! If you have a real bad seal at your nose and dive upside down you might get a little in, but I have never found it to be much with a good mask!

Using a camera I am in all directions and it is funny that physics work no matter which way point your head! If you have a real bad seal at your nose and dive upside down you might get a little in, but I have never found it to be much with a good mask!

If you've got a bad seal all along the moustache then if you're in a position where one side of your face is tilted up! That creates a situation where you've got a bad seal up, and a bad seal down, and water can go in and air can go out, without violating any of the rules of physics!

Well You can grab your left leg twist around 3 times and run into a fish too, but I have never seen it as a problem with a good fitting mask and try not to laugh while underwater while laying on your side! Simple to me!

Back
Top Bottom