Seals & zipper care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirkadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had my Catalyst for about 2 years & am curious as to recommendations for seal & zipper caretake. well any caretake for that matter outside of rinsing after each dive. It seems some manufacturers recommend using seal saver & some don't, etc. I'd like to know the manufacturers recommendations.
:popcorn:

The care that you take on your drysuit depends largely on how often you are diving the suit.
A. The suit needs to be rinsed on a regular basis (at the end of each days diving)
B. The suit should have the zipper waxed on a regular basis (I find my suit needs it after every 3-4 dives -this sometimes depends on the type of wax used).
C. the Seals should have seal saver applied every few dives as well (as needed - most suits usually need it every 6-8 dives)
D. The suit should be transported with the zipper closed, and stored with the zipper open. If there is a possibility that the zipper could "fold" (something fall on top of it etc.) you want the zipper to be closed. If the zipper is not done up, and something fell on it - it could compromise the zipper.
E. The suit should be rolled (if you are rolling it) with the zipper on the outside of the roll. Again rolling or folding a suit where the zipper could be folded in half is not good for the zipper (whether it is done up or not). This will simply prolong the life of the zipper.
F. Store the suit in a cool, dry spot away from direct sunlight.

Hope that helps!

Until the next Dive,
Tyler

Thanks Tyler. Your tour is coming to Blue Stone Quarry this weekend, I'll be up there checking out your new hood and now the new fleece.

Another good resource is the Whites Dry suit owners Manual that you can down load from the SUPPORT section of the Whites web site.
Your Seals will need to be changed at some point to. I always find a bit of pre emptive maintenance goes a long way, ie change them before one rips just before you are about to do a giant stride entry into freezing cold water. Take the suit to your dealer and they can give the whole suit a good eyeballing and recommend what needs doing-after 2 years your latex seals are about due...
brooke

Latex seals can last a long time, but it all depends on how well you take care of them. The more you baby your seals and zipper, the longer they will last and less likely they will rip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom