Search and Rescue - Lasers and Signaling Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont ship here of course

I still find myself wondering how well all of it would come together in Maldives or Raja Ampat or off Sipidan or even more remote locations.

Here is the post that I was referring to: post # 162, page 17 by @Luxe miles diver in this thread:
Canadian diver and buddy rescued near Apo Island, Philippines

Signal of plb will go through in indonesia. Rescue time depend on the location of the military.

Case :
I went diving in manado area with my plb1 in a plastic waterproof flexible case. Upon surfacing, 15 min later i realized the plb was activated accidentally (due to pressure at depth). Since the antenna of the plb was not deployed and it was only less then 30 min of accidental activation? I did not think much of it (i thought for sure signal would not have gone through as antenna was not deployed and not much time was activated and went on our 2nd dive) (Activation was near resort dive site)

Upon return to land. We saw indonesian military personel at the resort (we thought it was routine inspection for that area). That was maybe less then 2 hour after discovery of the accidental activation. (Manado military have to take boat from mainland to resort island. 20 min away from mainlaind)

Later when we turn on our cell phone (cell phone reception signal only on land near resort) we we shocked to get many missed call, texts, and emails from our family emmergency contact. The message was : jakarta sar detected an activation of your plb near manado. North american Sar Contacted emmergency contact and verify situation. Family Emmergency contact said we were diving in indonesia and cannot reach us. North american SAR told our emmergency contact that jakarta said military was notified!!

That was when we panicked and realized that the plb1 is so powerful that even with the antenna down, and short activation time, the plb satellite signal actually went through! We frantically called NA sar and notified of the accidental activation. (Our family was panicking as they thought something happened to us)

After that trip we bought a proper hard case dive canister for the plb.

@Dan_T Thanks for reminding us all, especially me of that thread!

So I have been reading about Spot. What do you guys/gals think about that one? I know there is a monthly payment with it, but it would be nice to be able to message a friend or family member in a not so serious situation. Instead of alerting the coast guard.

I could see myself checking in a lot with it too, since the cell phone will not work where we dive. Anyone tried it or have reasons to not try it after researching?

Why SPOT

Also would be great for stealing waypoints on charter boats lol

So I have been reading about Spot. What do you guys/gals think about that one? I know there is a monthly payment with it, but it would be nice to be able to message a friend or family member in a not so serious situation. Instead of alerting the coast guard.

I could see myself checking in a lot with it too, since the cell phone will not work where we dive. Anyone tried it or have reasons to not try it after researching?

Why SPOT

There were some discussion about it here: PLBs Can Save Your Life

Starting with post # 375 and ending to post # 384. You’ll read what I think about it there.

Why SPOT

It's probably minimally adequately sealed, but it's IP67 (30 minutes at 1 meter), which isn't ideal for something that you would use while immersed in salt water for hours. (vs the ACR at 16.40 ft (5 m) @ 1 hr., 33 ft (10 m) @ 10 min.) It also doesn't appear to float. But it certainly would be better then nothing.

It's probably minimally adequately sealed

Yea I would def have to put it in something. Thats so far what I have had the most trouble with, good canisters are overseas and the remaining old camera housings are the "ultra compact" and it won't fit.

Looks like I will end up with something that will fit in the case I got off eBay. Once it arrives I am gonna head up to the store and grab whatever one that fits. Spot would have been nice, but the shape seems tough.

Seems like there is a huge market for canisters that is not being catered to.

In a discussion of USCG SAR assets elsewhere a year or two ago, it was pointed out that apparently the new USCG helos have one of those nice military grade optical ball turrets complete with IR night vision cameras onboard. Except...apparently they are not allowd to use them, because someone ordered the military package with includes some features that aren't allowed to be used in the non-combat-zone US of A. If that sounds confusing, yeah, I don't recall the details but it was THAT simple, a technical issue was, at least that recently, keeping the IR equipment turned off. And the actual crew on the night SAR missions didn't have state of the art equipment available. Apparently some of it is reading heat signatures, and white LED strobe flashers just don't make enough heat to be picked up at all. Ooopsie.
You just can't presume what technology might be in use, or might not be in use, for all kinds of oddball reasons. Now take it outside of the US, where the local SAR assets might be a motorboat and a guy with binoculars...Helos are damned expensive with really short ranges and duration times. What works, anywhere, will depend on whether that guy in the boat really wants to stay out all night looking for you.

Is a PLB guaranteed to give your location ? That seems to be the ideal solution

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom