Search for four missing Divers off coast of North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess maybe I'll buy a strobe.

YES!!

Sharing my personal emergency equipment. I know others carry more, some less. I carry a nautilus lifeline, a strobe, a storm whistle and 2 SMBs on every single offshore dive. A good, quality strobe can be very, vey helpful if ever lost at night.

Very glad to see the happy ending here, and makes me feel better about my $100 strobe purchase I usually have on me for low-ish viz anchor lines off NC and NJ. Based on how far offshore they were, I wonder if they were on a meg tooth charter which I hear can be extremely low viz and tough currents.

Would be interesting to know how long they were drifting, when they were reported lost and how long it took to find them. I would hate to be drifting for a good bit of the night.
Let me read and comprehend for you.
who reported that four men diving from the pleasure craft Big Bill’s, approximately 63 miles east of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina near noon
So near noon means a little before or after 1200
Just in.... Strobe spotted 12:45 am...CG got em about 4:40 am....all 4 divers, no injury's reported.
12:45 means pretty much 0045.

Total elapsed time from reported lost to discovery, 12 hours 45 minutes.

Total time in the water, ~16 hours, 40 minutes, give or take.

Let me read and comprehend for you.

So near noon means a little before or after 1200

12:45 means pretty much 0045.

Total elapsed time from reported lost to discovery, 12 hours 45 minutes.

Total time in the water, ~16 hours, 40 minutes, give or take.
thanks, I would like to hear what happened.

I’m assuming this was a private boat, not a charter. Was there someone left on the boat? Or did they not leave someone on the boat, anchor line got loose, and boat wasn’t there when they surfaced??

I’m assuming this was a private boat, not a charter. Was there someone left on the boat? Or did they not leave someone on the boat, anchor line got loose, and boat wasn’t there when they surfaced??

Then how could the boat have alerted the coast guard that they'd not returned? Clearly it is either a charter boat or a manned private boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom