Search & rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
I've finally started studying for Search & Rescue (PADI), as well as EFR. I've finished both manuals and will have a theory session tomorrow.

While I enjoy learning new stuff and certainly appreciate the importance of acquiring S&R skills, I was extremely bored by the manual and the video. It's repetitive like hell must be. Not to mention the amount of obvious stuff. The manual sometimes reads as if written for first time divers.

On top of it, my instructor insists that I fill out all the "exercises", making the whole thing even more repetitive.

It's one thing that the OW manual be written for 7th graders, but I was hoping for a more direct (adult?) approach at the S&R level, (say, like in the Nitrox manual). Tough luck.

Anyone had the same reaction? Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the S&R knowledge or skills that I very much want to learn. I'm looking forward to the practice sessions. But the material was a real turn off for me.

What course are you taking ?
PADI has a Search & Recovery course and a Rescue Diver course.
I don’t believe PADI has a Search & Rescue course !
At least I have never heard of it.

If you are simply taking a Search & Recovery course, then yes this course is quite simple. If you are taking a Rescue Diver course, I would hope that there was plenty of repetition and that the instructor has you do the drills & skills over and over again. It’s not something to be taken lightly.

Arnaud once bubbled...
I've finally started studying for Search & Rescue (PADI), as well as EFR. I've finished both manuals and will have a theory session tomorrow.

While I enjoy learning new stuff and certainly appreciate the importance of acquiring S&R skills, I was extremely bored by the manual and the video. It's repetitive like hell must be. Not to mention the amount of obvious stuff. The manual sometimes reads as if written for first time divers.

On top of it, my instructor insists that I fill out all the "exercises", making the whole thing even more repetitive.

It's one thing that the OW manual be written for 7th graders, but I was hoping for a more direct (adult?) approach at the S&R level, (say, like in the Nitrox manual). Tough luck.

Anyone had the same reaction? Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the S&R knowledge or skills that I very much want to learn. I'm looking forward to the practice sessions. But the material was a real turn off for me.

If I were your instructor I'd insist that you did the exercises too. Firstly it's the PADI standard and he literally can't certify you if you don't do it and secondly you're obviously bored by the materials so how else can he be sure that you read and understood it?

I haven't read the rescue book recently so I can't comment on how it reads but what I do remember about it was a lot of lists that I had trouble memorizing. If it's easy (perhaps too easy) for you then you were more than ready to take the step. Don't wait so long for DM. Do a couple hundred dives or so and then take it before all the mystery is gone. :)

R..

i took the MFA in '01 and am counting the days when i take my Rescue class (i assume that's what you're referring to since you mentioned reading both EFR and Search and Rescue together). i'll probably do an EFR since MFA was so long ago.

i am fascinated by what i read in MFA - the 'obvious' things you stated were not so obvious to me (i was a boyscout once, but that was >20 years ago) when i read the the book. back then tourniquets were SOP for us here in the boonies, but i now know to be darn sure i want to apply that.

i enjoyed reading the Rescue text and video immensely (i get a big kick watching dive, marine video's anyway). for me, the Rescue text provided the intellectual context of what needs to be done, as opposed to the mechanics. the italicised 'case studies' were fascinating. yes, some were 'obvious stuff', but not so others. for the life of me, i wouldn't be able to intuitively guess how to administer in-water resusitation until i saw the video - not the rescue breaths itself, but rather keeping the airway open in-water, etc.

anyways, good luck with the EFR and Rescue class.

I'm taking the Rescue Diver course. Sorry for the confusion.

Diver0001, I definitely want to go to the DM level.

For you all, I definitely appreciate the importance of the rescue knowledge. I also appreciate that any training implies by definition doing exercises/drills more than once.

Where I guess my frustration comes from is the fact that most of the rescue knowledge is practical as opposed to theoritical. There's only 3 pages in the book on DCI (out of 180), for instance. I thought I would learn a little more about this in the manual and more about practicing CPR in... practice.

my MFAI was also an ex-EMT. as far as DCS, the classroom discussion is where i got to pick the instructor's brains on the topic. during my Dan O2 class, the Dan O2 IT sat in so we got loads of real life stories on DCI. incidentally the IT man a nearby chamber as well.

In all the PADI courses I've taken, I also thought the material was somewhat elementary until I started the Dive Master program. It's almost as thought they finally decided to get serious.

However, I still have to agree with several others on this thread that although it seems simple, it's not something to be taken lightly. BTW, part of the DM course is to execute a rescue scenario "flawlessly", so pay attention!

Also, HAVE FUN!

I had my first session yesterday. I've taken several specialty courses with my instructor. Definitely agree with you, Lanun. I got a lot more in the classroom.

We did the first 2 chapters from the Rescue manual (1 on 1), and the EFR in the afternoon (just myself, another student and an instructor student). I'm really happy with what I've learned. It was definitely efficient and Not boring...

Next week will be more theory + practice in the pool. Apparently, pool sessions are not required, but my instructor believes it's a good way to train before getting in the ow. Seems like serious training.

I've also signed up for the DAN O2, Hoover. It seems to me that O2 is the most important single treatment in a diving emergency, and the Rescue and EFR manuals are definitely light on that one.

I probably won't start DM until after the summer. Otherwise, I won't have time to...go diving.

I've completed the rescue program yesterday. I can't tell how many times we performed some of the rescue drills in the ocean.

The grand finale rescue scenario was absolutely terrific. My instructor had enlisted a few friends and the victim was "played" by another instructor. I am not much of an actor but the whole thing felt tremendously real. I can't begin to describe how much I have learned and how valuable the Rescue course is.

I've completed the rescue program yesterday. I can't tell how many times we performed some of the rescue drills in the ocean.

I've heard good things about the rescue program. That is the next class for me as well. Maybe in month or so.

Congratulations!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom