Searching for advice on Indonesia (Sulawesi?) trip options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm hoping to learn from some of you that have visited and know the resorts and area.

Some of you I've already spoken with in PM and email (and you've helped me narrow and reprioritize) and read your posts, so thanks for helping me get this far. I've also done a lot of research online and other sites like Trip Advisor, etc., so I'm really looking for some details.

Although I'm not set on N. Sulawesi as a destination, and some of what I've read online make me question is N. Sulawesi destinations even offer the right fit, if you have expertise on any other locations (e.g. other islands/countries in the area) that you think provide the fit please let me know?

Here's some details:

- Travel for mid- or late-September, or late-October
- I'm a very experienced diver (no worries about currents, etc.), wife is non-diver
- We're not the "Ritz-Carlton" types - while we require clean and nice, we've traveled to low- or no infrastructure destinations like Providencia (part of Colombia off the Nicaraguan coast), camping in slot canyons, or Las Lenas (Argentinian mountains)
- For this trip, we'll do a multi-destination plan to include Lembeh and then one or two other destinations... we don't need much assistance for Lembeh but it's the latter for which we need assistance
- We are only interested in an island option(s), not immediate Manado-area hotels
- We are not budget travelers, so middle- or higher-end are good (and probably required given our demands of a resort)
- We hope to minimize travel, so one fight from major city (e.g. SIN or HKG) followed by a couple of hours land/sea travel is desired... certainly wish to avoid any multi-day travel (from SIN for example) or forced overnights mid-travel

It seems Bunaken/Gangka/Silidan/Gangga might be a match, but, given the following priorities/requirements please provide any advice:

1. We want nice resort, basic is good but required is clean, western style toilet/shower, hot water and A/C and 24hr electricity, and views. We don't need or expect "luxury", but traveling half-way around the world we would like that "wow" experience (which to us doesn't mean "Four Seasons"). We do need internet connection, but don't need/expect TVs. We know we'll pay for being so demanding, but that doesn't mean we want to pay Europe-type prices for Indonesia type value.

2. We want good/memorable local Asian food. It doesn't need to be "fancy" or "gourmet", just basic, local, fresh, and tasty - typical/traditional Indonesian is expected... we would avoid any American/Western-European type fare.

3. Our typical resort program is for me to do a two tank boat dive, then for us to spend the afternoon together, when I like to snorkel and my wife might choose to snorkel or just stay at the shore (beach or rocks)... Boat dives that are close to the resort are needed, no one our or greater distance works due to non-diving wife waiting. For afternoons, we like some freedom of sea and sea-side options, meaning a resort that requires an even short boat ride to snorkel hosue reed might not be a good fit (unless the boat is available "on-demand", and if at no extra cost then maybe a great option, huh?). So, a good shore/house reef is required, if it's next to a nice beach, all the better. We don't mind a little hike around the island to arrive at such a place (if it's not adjacent to our resort)... If we must walk "next door" or down a beach or 10-15 minutes away on the island because our resort offers the other requirements but it's a different resort that has the best shore-adjacent reef, then that's fine. A spa or message for the wife in the morning when I'm away diving would be nice, too.

4. I'm looking for small boat diving, no cattle cars (but then I doubt that's even possible in these places). I guess what I'm saying is I'm perfectly comfortable on small boats that don't have "conveniences" like perfectly set up rigs, and I'm not looking for a service that sets-up and cleans my gear (I'd just undo and re-do it anyway as part of my pre-dive testing, huh?).

5. I do appreciate a DM that can point out all the sealife (I've lost my eye for it since moving to the mountains and no longer diving weekly... and in this part of the world I wouldn't recognize most of it anyway we can be sure). I also would be dissapointed if some DM told me to surface because my "time" was up even if I had plenty of air and was within limits (computer and mannually monitored).

6. I remember when I was backpacking years ago (early 90s), I traveled to the Gili's off of Lombok. The boat ride there involved some of our luggage (backpack) getting wet, and at arrival we had to wade through some depth of water and I slipped and fell and my backpack got wet. Hey, back then it wasn't any problem. But, as this will be an end of a business trip with direct travel home, I won't have a back pack, I'll have a suitcase, and I will have laptop/iPhone/etc. While I bring plenty of ziplocks and even bags for the luggage, and while I'm comfortable on small skiffs/boats, my wife isn't quite as good there, and for arrival/departure we probably want something more substantial and secore from teh elements.

Well, that's a long post, but I know I'd get no good advice just posting "what's a good resort" :)

Before even learning much at all about Sulawesi, we first considered Sipadan Water Village on Mabul but the travel requirements (foreced overnights) and poor beach and shore-based freediving has us thinking otherwise. Then we thought about Thailand, but wonder if the best diving (diving worthy of half-way around the world travel) is too far from resorts and doesn't work with our afternoon preferences.

So, is N. Sulawesi (besides Lembeh, which we know fits) even a good option for us? Which resort and island (if any) do you think provides the fit to what we're looking for... If not, does some other island/country come immediately to mind?

Thanks!!

Leo,
I have answered a part of your questions in the Bunaken/Lembeh thread though i am wondering about what you wrote : "Lembeh, which we know fits".
That's exactly the place where I wouldn't take my non diving wife... uh... (hence I had to dive Lembeh from Gangga :D )

Wakatobi

Sue

Wakatobi resort is way over what I'd like to pay, and review(s) of other resort there that I've read of had complaints that led me to believe it doesn't meet my priorities.

As of now, I find myself thinking of one of these four options:

- Combination among Lembeh/Siladen/Ganggka(shore-reef?)/Bunaken(Bunaken Village?)/Banka
- Mabul (eliminated combo with Metaking due to numerious terrible reviews on tripadvisor)
- Combination Redang/Perhentians (although I'm warned the diving is really second rate - true? by how much? as these offer very nice beach resorts)
- Philippines (which I know nothing about)

Hi,

I have been to many dive resorts in Indonesia so I'll give it a shot.

You could try Alor Divers - It would fit most of your requirements (great diving, sites not far from the resort, excellent food, beautiful beach with bungalows in front of the beach, very friendly manager/ owner, fanstastic house reef, clean, 24h electricity etc.) - You will not get a spa though, there is no air-con, only fans (definitely not luxurious but comfortable)... And it is far from Manado (you would have to fly to Kupang in Timor, then on to Alor), but that's the price of the wow factor when you get away from it all.

On another thread I recommended Sipadan Kapalai Resort to you.
They have a house reef you can dive. Simply step off the boardwalk at the dive center.
The snorkeling around the resort is very good. You can see more ocean life while walking the boardwalk between your room and the restaurant than you will see on many Carib dives (per my friend as I haven't done enough Carib diving to know).

Kapalai is pricey but worth every cent IMO. I'm a budget backpacker and I'd go to Kapalai again in a snap!
It fits all of your requirements except A/C which just is not needed due to ocean breezes, and there isn't a spa. No resorts near Sipadan have a spa. You may be able to arrange a massage, though.

About Kapalai

Look at the photos of it on tripadvisor. It is magical and stunning in every way. And Sipadan/Mabul diving? Un-freaking-believable. Surreal. Really.

Bastianos Bunaken fits your requirements. I also recommend Bastianos Lembeh. You can see 3 volcanos from Bastianos Lembeh with fantastic sunsets, and the sunsets behind Manado Tua from Bastianos Bunaken are out of this world.

The most I ever had in a group at the above 3 resorts was 6 divers and that was at Sipadan.

All 3 had excellent food. I'm a Malay and Indonesian foodie, and I was delighted.

If you go to Bunaken, ask for help with your luggage on the return boat to Manado. Not a wet landing but a narrow plank between the boats and dock. The other two have easy dry landing docks both ways.

Neither the Perhentians or Tioman are good enough to fly half way around the world for.

Philippines? I don't know. My first trip there will be this fall!!!!!!!

- We hope to minimize travel, so one fight from major city (e.g. SIN or HKG) followed by a couple of hours land/sea travel is desired... certainly wish to avoid any multi-day travel (from SIN for example) or forced overnights mid-travel

This one is going to be hard - especially when combined with your other requirements.

The fact is, hauling your butt around this region takes some time. Most flights go through someplace else (seems every flight I need in Indonesia goes through Makkasar), and every extra flight adds both a layover and a chance of a delay. Hey, Indonesia is a huge country - multiple flights and layovers "comes with the territory" (literally).

You might try prioritizing (ranking) your requirements, since I suspect you are going to have to trade off some of them to get others.

nwflyboy brings up some very good points. Apart from Bali, Indonesia isn't hyper-developed for tourism. The good places aren't scarred with one after another ugly highrise McResorts screwing up the raw beauty. I, for one, am glad. I could jump on a cattle boat and have that scene much closer to home if that is what I was after. Some things are worth making small sacrifices for. Help is always only one "please" away ..... and a palm won't be thrust at you for the tip afterwards (except on Gili Air!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom