Seattle Aquarium Volunteer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Penopolypants

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy!

Does anyone here volunteer at the Seattle Aquarium? If so, do you have any stories/recommendations/pros/cons about the experience?

-P

I used to, and my wife still does. I thought it was pretty fun for a while, but the novelty of it ran out kind of quickly for me. I found myself wishing out was out diving at an actual dive site instead of in the Dome. My wife thoroughly enjoys it though, after doing it for 4 years or so.

I do a few programs with them each year. Beach and Cedar River Naturalist. Love the folks at the aquarium.. I keep telling myself that I will volunteer time IN the aquarium but have not done it yet.

It was a little different when we first started. We did a checkout dive at Alki, then had a couple of orientation dives in the Dome and then were put on the schedule. Now, you have to volunteer as an interpreter for 100 hours. Once you hit 100 hours you are put on the list for the next checkout dive (done twice a year) and Dome orientation, then put on the schedule. They started this policy about 2 years ago I believe.

What exactlly is an interpreter? I dont speek any thing but g33k and english.

An interpreter walks around the Aquarium answering questions basically. I think you are assigned to once specific area and answer questions that any visitors have. I think you go through 3-4 full day classes to learn about the critters at the Aquarium. Then, once you complete 100 hours as an interpreter you can be scheduled to do the next checkout dive to dive in the Dome or the tropical tank.

The Aquarium has a need for interpreters (as well as divers), so about 2 years ago they implemented this policy and they are very strict with it. They want you to 'do your time' before you get to be a diver basically.

wingnut:
An interpreter walks around the Aquarium answering questions basically. I think you are assigned to once specific area and answer questions that any visitors have. I think you go through 3-4 full day classes to learn about the critters at the Aquarium. Then, once you complete 100 hours as an interpreter you can be scheduled to do the next checkout dive to dive in the Dome or the tropical tank.

The Aquarium has a need for interpreters (as well as divers), so about 2 years ago they implemented this policy and they are very strict with it. They want you to 'do your time' before you get to be a diver basically.

Well, that's actually not a bad situation. You probably get to learn a lot more about critters than you would just jumping in and cleaning algae. :D

It's not a bad situation. Before each dive, you go into the Dome viewing area and do a presentation to all the visitors. You talk about the critters in the Dome, what you'll be feeding them, etc. After you're done you get asked all sorts of questions by the visitors and I'm sure they'd be much easier to answer if you've been through the interpreter program and have been asked those questions already.

I know from my Naturalist connection with them that you are well trained. I get laughed at when I visit the aquarium.. I kick into interpreter mode. (this is what I do as a beah naturalist, only difference is I do my stuff at the beach in the summer). You will find me at the tide pool area explaining what the visitors are seeing and talking about the critters and their habits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom