Seaview Hotel and Bob Soto's Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L. Smallman

Reaction score
We are traveling to Grand Cayman with a group later this month and will be staying at the Seaview Hotel. We do not have any great expectations as we are aware this is a basic no frills dive hotel. However, we did hear that Bob Soto's has leased the property and has refurbished it to some extent. We are wondering if anyone else on Scuba Board has stayed at the Seaview recently. If so, how was the shore diving at the hotel and how were the daily dives with Bob Soto's. Also, any other helpful information about this trip would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Laura and Mitch

"No news is good news," or is it more like "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all," ???
Hasn't anyone out there stayed at the Seaview in the past year? I have seen some negative remarks on other threads about west side diving in Grand Cayman, is it true? We have only been certified since last June so we want some fairly easy dives, good vis, pretty fish and not much current. We thought Grand Cayman and the shore front diving at the Seaview would be perfect. Were we wrong? What are your thoughts fellow divers? I'm diving, I mean dying to know.
LJ

Can't help you with the hotel.

We dove with Bob Soto's in May. Posted a trip report on ScubaDiving.com forum. They have a lot of freindly people and are a pretty good dive op. Try to get to the North side for most of your dives. Some nice stuff on the West but we enjoyed the North much more. If you go to scubadiving.com, try a search with the hotel name. You will get some hits.

Water is very warm and I kept getting hot in a 2/3 shortie. Stuck with it due to the jellys. Tim the DM, the best one we had, got a few under his Tshirt. Convinced me to keep the shortie.

Good luck

Thanks for the information gulfdiver, and I appreciate the tip about the jellies. I think I hate jellyfish more than almost anything. I was stung by a man of war last year swimming at St George's Island on the Florida panhandle. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! My sweetie said he heard about the man who could walk on water, but this was the first time he ever saw anyone run on water!! I know the only thing that protected from those slimey critters in Key Largo, Florida was my wetsuit. I was planning on the same dive attire for this trip and I guess I will stick with that plan. Usually I wear a full polypro suit under a 3 mil shortie. I'm wondering if the polypro would be enough to protect against the those dastardly jellies...hmmmm.
Laura

Right now our waters are pretty clear of jellies... just a few here and there that any exposure suit will take care of. During the time period between Mother's Day and Father's Day we sometimes can get a rash of thimble jellies that come through which usually means sea itch. This past season was pretty bad but that's all gone now (thank goodness!).
The Sea View is nice in that you're not in the midst of the crowded 7 Mile Beach area... it's more south. You should have a good time with Soto's... they do tend to take out larger groups but that shouldn't be a problem with you if you're travelling with a group. And for the ease of just strapping on a tank and heading out, the shore diving is nice, also. Lots of critters to see.
Have a blast! Casey

Thanks Casey, I'm very glad to hear the jellies are gone for the most part. I was hoping to get by with my polypro suit, so maybe now I can. Thanks for the info on Bob Soto's Diving and the Seaview. We've only made three dives in salt water so the number of divers doesn't bother us. It's the safety in numbers thing I guess. I'm sure once we are more experienced divers we will be dodging the crowds too. We can't wait to get to Grand Cayman to make like a submarine and DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!
Laura

Hi again, gulfdiver. I trekked on over to scubadiving.com and found your trip report. Loved the photos, hope you post some more soon. I found your report very helpful, thanks. I had no idea all that information was available at that site. You will be seeing me over there as divergirl327.
Laura

Sure thing Laura. That's what the boards are for; helping each other out.

I got a lot of help from both boards before we went to the Caymans. Tried to hook up with Camancase's group for an afternoon dive but they were booked.

CC, has anyone from this board dived with you yet????

Hope so. You were a lot of help.

Sorry, GD, to hear that you weren't able to hook up with us! Ya shoulda let me know and I could've pulled a few strings! Make sure you give me a ring next time you're down!
A few folks have been diving with us from the board but not any "well-known posters" yet. I've been in contact with a few that are coming for a visit in October and November... so hopefully trip reports (good ones?!) will follow!
Have a great time on your trip, Laura! And enjoy the beautiful underwater world here... without worries about those dang jellies!
Casey

We are traveling to Grand Cayman with a group later this month and will be staying at the Seaview Hotel. We do not have any great expectations as we are aware this is a basic no frills dive hotel. However, we did hear that Bob Soto's has leased the property and has refurbished it to some extent. We are wondering if anyone else on Scuba Board has stayed at the Seaview recently. If so, how was the shore diving at the hotel and how were the daily dives with Bob Soto's. Also, any other helpful information about this trip would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Laura and Mitch

I was back in the Caymans a few years ago and saw that the Seaview had been wiped from the face of the earth, presumably by one of the intervening hurricanes. What a shame. I had wonderful memories of that place, a cozy hangout for dive instructors. They even hosted the "international bar tending competition" in 2001 --a smash hit for those of us who were hanging there to find an oasis away from the press of tourists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom