Secondhand Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickta81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm fairly new to diving so thought it best to ask the question here.
I have the chance to buy two Catalina C85's for a good price, but I am concerned about their age. They were manufactured in 2001 and may have been used in a dive shop. The other problem is that I would be buying online so no chance to inspect. They were hydro tested last October so should be in reasonable condition. Any help with this would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cost would be the deciding factor for me. If it has to be shipped the cost difference between buying new locally and used with shipping with may be close enough that new is better.
Have you seen pictures of the tank you are looking at? Some rental tanks are physically fine but look ratty as hell, if looks matter to you it may be a factor.
I am guessing that there was a VIP done at hydro so it is 6 months out from needing a new one. Ask for a new VIP as the valve will have to come off the tank for shipping anyway.
Around here new AL tanks go for about $150 plus or minus a few bucks. I consider 1/2 new price, mabe a little more if it is in really good shape, to be about right tor a used AL tank if it is in hydro and has some time left one the hydro.

I'm in Australia and our tanks must be tested annually or no dive shop will fill them. My main concern was what sort of life cycle to expect from AL tanks. Looks aren't a huge concern for me, as no doubt once I have them they'll get some more punishment. So jealous at the pricing of your new tanks, I can't find anything here for less than double that new. Even second hand most tanks are more than $150 unless they are absolute rubbish or out of hydro for a few years. When you put it that way, it does seem to make more sense to just pay the little bit extra to get them new locally. Thanks for your help.

I'm in Australia and our tanks must be tested annually or no dive shop will fill them. My main concern was what sort of life cycle to expect from AL tanks. Looks aren't a huge concern for me, as no doubt once I have them they'll get some more punishment. So jealous at the pricing of your new tanks, I can't find anything here for less than double that new. Even second hand most tanks are more than $150 unless they are absolute rubbish or out of hydro for a few years. When you put it that way, it does seem to make more sense to just pay the little bit extra to get them new locally. Thanks for your help.

What kind of life cycle? I have a AL80 in my dive locker that was made in 1980 it has hundreds of dives on it and is still serviceable but is made from the bad AL alloy so I retired it. It still has 2800psi of air in it. I use it to test my regulators for leaks. If its what you want and the price is right, it is in hydro so, I wouldn't worry. I haven't purchased a new tank since 1968. Even the AL80 was bought used. :)

Was curious if number of fills affect the tanks a great deal, as with some other high tensile AL products they tend to become brittle after a lot of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Rickta81,
I just bought 2 near brand new tanks, in mint condition with a manifold and cam bands for $500 off gumtree. There's always tanks on there going for cheapish (for aussie standards).
I have to admit though, I did have to drive down to Canberra to pick them up to save $220 in shipping fees.

Hey Mike,
trust me I've been looking on gumtree etc, not sure I'd drive to Canberra for them though haha. $220 seems like a lot I had a quote for $23 per tank from Cairns for some second hand Luxfers and Catalinas. I slime to get a couple of fabers and a few ali ones for future stages as I get some more dives/skills/training. Just thought a couple of cheap tanks might help get me in the water more often.

Was curious if number of fills affect the tanks a great deal, as with some other high tensile AL products they tend to become brittle after a lot of use.

Doubtful, in all the years I've been diving I haven't seen many tanks dived to death. The method of fills might matter but only a crazy person what consistently do rapid hot overfills which is what it would take to harm a tank. Normal use rarely kills a tank. Some shops put tanks in a tank of water to keep it cooler while filling. I went to a place that had super cooled air! My tank was filled inside of 2 mins and was cool to the touch! That operation closed down long ago, too bad. I'd stop on my way to the dive site to get my tanks filled there when I was diving in that area; never ceased to amaze me. They claimed the rapid fill didn't hurt the tank. I guess the cooler air reduced the expansion, at least from heat expansion.

Back to your tanks, the fact that the tanks are within hydro bods well. I will say though, I've never bought a tank from a picture that would make me hesitate. Is it far from you? A road trip is always fun! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom