Secrets Resort Again Charging For Pier Use... BEWARE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pay nothing, walk right past the clipboard guy period - what can he do, push you in the water?

@ChuckP - as much as I respect your opinion, this is simply not going to fix the big picture. While it MAY fix your immediate issue, it will only make it more difficult for the dive op you are using and for all of the legal dive operations to deal with.

We need to stick together as responsible divers and support Cozumel dive ops by disputing these additional charges.

I have stayed in both the northern and southern zone. I enjoy both areas thoroughly. Over the years I gravitated towards the southern zone due the ease of dive boat pick up and proximity to the reefs. If I do the math including cab/car rental and pier charges, I will reconsider staying south and look into staying north or near town. I am sure there are some readers who may roll their eyes about my balking over a $3/day charge, but it adds up(especially if diving as a group), plus I cannot stand the logic that as an American, I can cough a few extra bucks, no big deal.

And with the same draconian process - ANOAAT is organizing a meeting with Tourism Board and Hotel Association to try to come to a resolution . We all need to be working together, not against each other.

The difference at Occidental is that it actually IS ProDive, the dive shop (not the hotel) trying to charge the pier fee.

Is pro Dive not owned by the same Spanish Company who owns the resort? Im pretty sure they do.

@ChuckP - as much as I respect your opinion, this is simply not going to fix the big picture. While it MAY fix your immediate issue, it will only make it more difficult for the dive op you are using and for all of the legal dive operations to deal with.

We need to stick together as responsible divers and support Cozumel dive ops by disputing these additional charges.

I know what you mean but my understanding is it may just create a fuss at the dock but nowhere else, I'd think the fuss would be more embarrasing to them. If it bothered the dive op, I would not act in that way - they live there, I don't, yet.

I will never knowingly stay at a location that jacks around with the dive ops like that period, there's too many other places to stay.

We're there this coming week, we'll see what Fiesta Americana does but most days we'll just drive to the marina anyways, more boat time hanging out with friends.

If it were simply a matter of charging extra for guests of the resort, although I think it's raping the guests, it's up to them if they want to be raped or not. (Did I really just say that? :eek:)

But my understanding is that the hotels are making the dive ops responsible for collecting their fees from the divers, effectively perpetrating the rape!

This is absolutely ridiculous. If you want to rape your guests, at least own it. Don't make it look like someone else is responsible.

Sorry for my tactless analogy, but I call it like I see it :poke:

If it were simply a matter of charging extra for guests of the resort, although I think it's raping the guests, it's up to them if they want to be raped or not. (Did I really just say that? :eek:)

But my understanding is that the hotels are making the dive ops responsible for collecting their fees from the divers, effectively perpetrating the rape!

This is absolutely ridiculous. If you want to rape your guests, at least own it. Don't make it look like someone else is responsible.

Sorry for my tactless analogy, but I call it like I see it :poke:

Haha yeah, not a good choice of words. Seems a little over-the-top for a mere $3/day, don't you think?

Haha yeah, not a good choice of words. Seems a little over-the-top for a mere $3/day, don't you think?

Nope...it's not about the $3 at all.

I am an idealist. I want (and expect) dive operations to do business in a safe, effective and fun way. I expect them to meet all necessary legal and safety standards and comply with the marine park rules.

I also want hotels and resorts to treat customers in an ethical manner that is fair to all - both divers and non-divers. And if they want to impose additional fees, to do so and implement the process themselves without further burdening the dive ops.

I don't think that's asking too much at all.

Well, this appears to be VERY INCONSISTENT. On our first day, we were to be picked up at 9am on the pier. There were a bunch of people on the pier for snorkeling trips and a few for diving but no one asking about bracelets etc. Once that group cleared out, here came our boat and miraculously a Secrets employee appeared and confronted our boat. Spanish conversation ensued, Secrets guy stepped back, we got on the boat and were told about the fee by our boat. When we returned that afternoon, they sent a guy from the boat to pick up the bracelets for my wife and I. The other 2 days, same peer, same amount of people...No Secrets personnel present at all. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom