Secure storage of scuba gear in truck bed?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made this holder for the tanks. Tanks can be well secured and the rack bolts into the bed.

DSC04321_Small_.JPG

DSC04320_Small_.JPG

These can also be used to store stuff and locked via cable into the bed of my truck.
DSC00003_Small_.JPG

Bite the bullet and buy a metal roll-top cover. You'll be glad you did - it's secure and quick, just pile your gear in the back and pull the cover over it.

All the best, James

I just use a non-locking cloth type rolling cover that secures with velcro and a some latches. No lock.

I've never lost anything out of the truck.

The simple fact is, most people are quite honest. They aren't even going to look under cover. Nor will most criminals. Crooks like two things: a sure and easy target. Without any visibility as to what is under the cover they're going to walk on by 99% of the time. Given how few folks are really going to be thieves in the first place, it's more than secure enough.

Thanks for the pictures Teamcasa. The Tank Rack looks slick and I like the way you strap the bottles to the tops of the carry-alls. I'm starting to get enough gear now that I am having to look for ideas around carrying my equiptment and the pictures sure help to get the creativity juices flowing :D

I agree that most people are honest and thieves are cowards. Put a little inconvenience between you stuff and them and they will leave your stuff alone. As I said before, I have a canopy or "topper" and it is great and even waterproof. However, if I were to chose something else I would choose something like this retractable aluminum cover:

Peragon Truck Bed Cover - Retractable

I've got a 3 panel fold up vinyl cover for my Tundra. It cost me about 350 and uses pressure clamps to keep it in place. You can remove it when not in use. I lock the tailgate when I'm away from the truck and have something of value in it...like dive gear. Its not the most secure thing in the world but it does keep everything out of sight. If I'm staying in a hotel near a dive location, all of my gear (except tanks) comes inside with me.

I own a crew cab f150 and I just shift all valuables into the back seat and lock it up. The only time I utilize the truck bed is when I am on the way home and everything is soaked and wet :) Tanks generaly stay in the bed but are covered up. I also have a car alarm pager that if someone touches the truck it instantly pages me and I never go to a place where I can not see out the window and see my truck.

When it comes to dive gear and trucks its really a cat and mouse game. You dont want your wet gear in the front of the vehicle and you dont want your gear getting stolen either. As for gear getting too hot I have found a mesh bag is excellent as it has all the holes in the bag to allow air flow in it also. Covered partially on top by a blanket (which fully covers the tanks for obvious reasons) keeps the sun off of it also!

After spending a week away from home and reading these comments as well as from off road enthusiasts on tacoma boards I think I have come to a conclusion.

Economically speaking it would be a lot cheaper to purchase a roll up access tonneau cover and purchase a lockable crate with wheels (like one in photos above). That crate would be modified to include drainage holes as well as have a quick release nut so that box would be attached to the bed of the truck when necessary and unhooked when not in use. I looked all around the back of the car and found plenty of places where that could be accomplished.

I do not have a time frame for when all of this will be completed but so far I think I will start with a bike rack (hopefully tomorrow) and the box and will purchase car cover sometime in july i think.

I greatly appreciate our communication. I think many of us share the same kind of concerns when it comes to our gear and getting to and from dive sites.

One aspect that is really important to bring up is the sun. Here in florida it is hot hot hot and protecting gear is that much more important. I figure once I get my cover I hope that my ride back will not be that stressful on the gear. I did modify the trunk of my celica so that it has a hole in it and on the way back it drips out if necessary. Having a truck will definitely spare the embarrassment of a leaking car. he he he

After what seemed like an eternity I have reached a closure on my secure storage dilemma. First and foremost I have to say that market for truck covers is a scam. I am sorry but it just is. Used hard cover runs for 500 and new one runs for 1500+, roll up access cover, tri-folding access cover and snap on access cover are all over 300 bucks and the cheapest option seems to be a trip to walmart and purchase of a blue/silver/brown tarp with bungee cords that only costs 30 bucks including price of gas to get to the store and back.

So.

I combined the 2 things I needed most inside that trunk. I wanted to be able to use my bike rack and still have some sense of security so I ended up purchasing a stanley 50 gallon heavy duty lockable tote (like one in photos above), poked a few holes in it and put a bike rack through the box... literally.
I have also purchased bolts, nuts and winged nuts and at some point down the road I will also poke a few holes in the bed of my car when its not as hot outside.

Here is the final result. Please pardon nasty looking hole as I do not have many tools to work with. I plan to buy a rubber gasket thingie next time I visit home depot so it looks a little more presentable.

As it stands now box is secured to the truck because of lockable bike rack. Pending its not the most secure thing in the world but it should be enough of a deterrent for an average thief.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom