securing a ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrwinc

Reaction score
For whatever reason I may be doing this if my dive buddy is comfortable enough in the water I will try to hand her a ring and she will be extremely excited to recieve it. This may increase the chance of either I or her dropping it. I have comtemplated on way to secure it. Get some kite string and tie one end to the ring and make a loop other end and loop the entire string back in it (like you would to put a balloon on a childs wrist). I'd place the looped end on my wrist and keep the ring on my pinkey with my dive gloves on to keep it hidden, protected, and secured. The dives will be in the keys so the specific dive will be shallow, clear, and no current. I am hoping those will not be factors. In our dive group there is several photographers so I'm borrowing one of those individuals for that dive.

If anyone has any suggestions on any percautions that have for me under water handing a small item like a ring back and forth I'm all ears.

You might investigate dental floss instead of kite string. It has similar tensile strength but is less bulky. And I would definitely keep the loop around your own wrist until the ring is firmly secured on her finger.

Also make sure to make sure she doesn't get so excited she pops out the regulator.

Also be nifty if you found a regular looking clam or oyster shell and handed it to her to open and there she finds the ring. Then looks up at you as you hold up the slate with "the question".

by TexasMike. You could easily buy such a shell prior to the dive trip. Have you considered the ramifications of crying underwater? Seems to me that many women get pretty emotional when they get a proposal of marriage.

Speaking of diving related proposals( I warned you Unit 240)

Unit 240(a scubabboard member) proposed to one of our students during her OW certification. I was unaware that this had happened when I asked her how things were going(meaning the dive skills etc) Her answer to me was, "I'm content!" with a big smile. I told I had never heard anyone say they were content with diving. Thats when she told me she was talking about getting engaged not diving and she showed me her ring.

Here is what Unit240 has told me he thought about doing. He was going to have a cheap ring to present initially and when he popped the question underwater he was going act all nervous and trembling at the fingers and then drop the ring into the depths after she realized that he was proposing.

Good luck

is to make sure that when you propose, you BOTH have plenty of air available. Becuase when you do this, both of your breathing rates are going to peg out at the hight end which means breathing gas consumption is going to at least double.

I'd hate for an out of air situation to happen during this busy moment.

And we wanna see the photo(s) when you guys make it back from the trip.

Ah yes.... dental floss... that is much easier to get my hands on and I'd need less of an excuse to have it packed in my bag. I believe the dental floss would cut me less if she got too excited and either drifted away from me or ripper her hand quickly away with it on her hand to look at. I'm planning on going down the anchor line. We will probably be at a reef so I'll end up going up current to sit down on the sandy bottom a few feet away.

I will defiantly watch out for the air. This will be her first time in the ocean. She only has 5 dives so far but we will pick up 10/11 more that week. If all conditions are favorable I'll be doing this on a the second day when we will still be in shallower depth (there will be ppl doing OW check out dives still then).

If I'm not sure that she is acting akin to a fish I'll just end up doing it one night while there.

I wouldn't dare get a cheap ring and drop it. I'm sure should start digging like a MAD woman to get it and wouldn't want to surface till she found it.

jbd: Have you considered the ramifications of crying underwater? Seems to me that many women get pretty emotional when they get a proposal of marriage.

The crying yes... She had a panic attack on the surface before one of her dives and she laughed later about crying inside her mask. So at least that she'll be able to handle when (not if) she does.

I just ended up giving her the ring this last weekend. The last 2 weeks this cold I had was getting steadily worse. My body often beats me up when I'm stressed so I gave her the ring sat. When I woke up Sunday I was 100% better. I have been taking antibotics and decongestant/antihistamine so that could also be why I am better. I don't physically dive till thurs so I hope all the congestion and ear pressure will be gone by then.

(she said yes of course)

Best wishes to both of you!! Hope you have a great trip!!

Contratulations

Jessica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom