See Thru Mystery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KelnKelp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Everyone! On a recent dive off the Oil Rig Eureka in Long Beach, this guy floated through. It moved slowly by waving the "upper fin" back and forth. I have no idea what it is but would love to find out. Any help?! Thanks!

http://photobucket[dot]com/albums/v142/GinnyS/questionablecreature.jpg

questionablecreature.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Approximate size?
Depth?
Looks larval, but ... ?
There's just no end to marvelous critters out there :)
Rick
The link appears to be unstable, so I've downloaded your picture and uploaded it here on SB...

questionablecreature.jpg

Last edited:
The end on the right side of the pic looks an aweful lot like the tail portion of a squid. There also looks to be a couple of eyes starting to develop on other end and squid do have very large and prominent eyes. Plus squid are pretty common out there. Perhaps this is a larval squid that hasn't yet begun to sprout tenticles?

Approximate size and derection of movement (left to right or right to left) could be helpful info.

I want to say it was about a foot long... for movement I have a video on youtube...but again, i'm not allowed to post links...anyone want to help like they did with my original post?

there were a bunch of Salp colonies around on that dive, so my thought was something related to them, but I have no idea...doesn't really look like any salp i've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!
That's one strange critter!
Those do look like eyespots... if it had more color I'd think some kind of free-swimming slug, but I've never seen one so clear.
?????????????????
Rick

Thanks Leslie.
Your font of information is bottomless!
:)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom