Seeking advice: Bunaken and Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our trip was organized through our local dive shop. We stayed at Tasik Ria in Manado, and dove out of the resort with Eco Divers, and we stayed at Kungkungen Bay Resort in Lembeh. I thought TR was okay -- it's a pretty property with lovely pools that no one actually used, and a delightful bar out at the end of the pier, but the food was meh and it's a long boat ride to the park dives. I wouldn't object to going back there, but I'd definitely look around for other possibilities in the area. On the other hand, we loved KBR. The place was gorgeous, the food was excellent and the people were great, and the diving was very convenient. Being met after a dive with hot tea and cookies won my heart! Now, we did make the trip in 2008, so I don't know what might have changed there in the meantime, but if it's under the same owners and management, it's probably still lovely. They clearly cared.

All right, I'm sold. Lembeh and Bangka it is. I am in the middle of getting a job with Delta, one of those guys you see scurrying around the plane waving flashlights and unloading baggage. $8. an hour and flight benefits! So, if I don't have to pay for most of my airfare I have a lot more flexibility in where I can stay under budget.
After diving the Caribbean for 15 years I'm pretty excited to see new waters and new underwater environments. I'm turning 66 in a couple of weeks so a new job after being retired for 7 years and new horizons in travel sounds pretty good.
Thanks for all the advice and personal experiences.

All right, I'm sold. Lembeh and Bangka it is. I am in the middle of getting a job with Delta, one of those guys you see scurrying around the plane waving flashlights and unloading baggage. $8. an hour and flight benefits! So, if I don't have to pay for most of my airfare I have a lot more flexibility in where I can stay under budget.
After diving the Caribbean for 15 years I'm pretty excited to see new waters and new underwater environments. I'm turning 66 in a couple of weeks so a new job after being retired for 7 years and new horizons in travel sounds pretty good.
Thanks for all the advice and personal experiences.

A ramp rat! Good job. You must be in good shape for an old guy :wink:

Enjoy your trip and new career. Here in Atlanta, we have little choice but to fly Delta.

As posted in another thread, +1 on using Murex, I am booked for their Passport to Paradise in July and tagged on a few days extra for Lembeh as I dived with Critters at Lembeh twice before.

After Lembeh we are heading to Siladen Island for a couple of nights mainly to visit Ana and Miguel the previous managers of Lembeh Resort.

Just be aware that Lembeh resort is not on the same price category as the two other resorts from Murex (Manado and Bangka), not the same kind of customers too... Bangka is mainly targeted to european or more laidback clientele, Lembeh resort is mainly catering for photographers, high budget end and more focused on north american customers (especially for the tipping... ?!...) .

A ramp rat! Good job. You must be in good shape for an old guy :wink:

Enjoy your trip and new career. Here in Atlanta, we have little choice but to fly Delta.

As far as being in good shape goes, its more like I refuse to face reality!
and, from here in Boise we have little choice period. :blinking:

So, I'm starting to look at this as a week at Murex on Bangka and a week at Lembeh with Two Fish (not necessarily in that order). I'll have my own equipment, but is there anything else in particular I should bring? Any opinions on which area to visit first? Is October/ November a good time as far as underwater conditions go?

I'm really glad I stopped here to ask about plans. And, again, I am really thankful for all the invaluable first hand recommendations you guys are providing. Diving is the one sport (?) where every kind of people you can imagine can get together and start out as friends.

I had a bit of a love affair with N. Sulawesi a few years ago and repeatedly dived Bangka with Murex, Bunaken and Lembeh with Froggies and Black Sands - Luko is correct these places are geared more to the euro market - particularly froggies for obvious reasons. I loved Murex's isolated little bungalows on Bangka and recommend them to friends. I guess its the level of comfort you require. Aircon and power were only on for a few hours at Murex only a short few years ago and wifi didnt exist. I loved it. Others probably wouldnt have. Id still recommend stocking up on munchies before you leave Manado Murex mainland for Bangka if this is the option that you choose. Murex mainland provide a good driver across to the beach where the boat picks you up for Bangka - get him to stop at some of the roadside stalls and buy some rambutans and mangosteens.

Given the mining going on I'd put Bangka high up on the list.

and wifi didnt exist.
It does now :)

Given the mining going on I'd put Bangka high up on the list.
Yep, I'm afraid only the army could pull the chinese off the mining business, since legal isn't even able to stop it.
There's now visible signs of mining on the western hills. Gotta hurry...

---------- Post added April 19th, 2015 at 07:31 PM ----------

I'll have my own equipment, but is there anything else in particular I should bring? Any opinions on which area to visit first? Is October/ November a good time as far as underwater conditions go?
Better stop in Bangka first, october is still good but Bangka strait should be first hit with the wind turnaround, while Lembeh is always protected. Hence no worries but better be sure.
Don't forget your muck stick : it's an essential piece of equipment for Lembeh, for approaching Bangka supermacro critters too.
If you're on photo,bring your most powerful macro wetlens, or even an UW magnifier if you do not shoot images, it will help you very much for watching pygmy seahorse business. :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom