Seeking advice: Canon HF200 settings - "UW mode", WB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone who has any experience with a Canon HF200 offer some advice as to the best way to set things up? I have had the camera for a little while but haven't had a chance to get it underwater yet. I'm new to underwater video, so any tips are welcomed.

The camera has an "underwater mode" that seems to get decidedly mixed reviews. Some people apparently prefer shooting in another mode - why? Any firm suggestions for dealing with white balance (not adjustable once the cam is in the housing, so you would have to set it topside and live with that for the duration of the dive)?

FWIW I have the Canon HF200 in the Canon WP-V1 housing; will be shooting in (I hope) clear tropical waters, mostly day but a few night dives. I have the built-in lens plus the Ikelite W20 wide angle. Fisheye FIX LED 1000 DX light is on the way.

Ideally, I'd like to try both small stuff/closeups and wider footage - and take some stills wiht the same setup (camera has a "dual shoot" mode for footage plus stills).

Thanks for any suggestions!

I tried to use UW mode, it was OK when I do not use lights. Combination lights and UW mode created serious red tint.

Thanks.

So, lights + UW mode = too much red. Check. Will avoid that.

What mode did you find worked better (with lights)? And what did you do about white balance?

Thanks!

I have only shot mine in available light (no underwater lights.....yet). UW mode was a disappointment to me. It does some color correction but doesn't work that well in my opinion. I bought a Ur Pro 67MMBW underwater filter, red/orange color, and was much happier with the colors I got from it in available light. When you get shallow on a sunny day you just remove it so your don't get too much red cast. Obviously with the UW lights you would most likely not want it on either......I think.

I use a canon HG, and I am getting beutiful colors in MWB using white card on a flexible arm attached to the housing + red filter.

"P" auto exposure mode with auto white balance setting...

nwflyboy - I have the same exact set up as you accept I have a Fisheye 500. You have a very nice setup escpecially for being new to video. I am new as well probably only with 25 dives with this set up. I have gotten excellent results with the following. I use P mode with the AWB. I do this for a couple reasons. THe underwater mode has a prefixed focus range. Canon said they did this so the camera would not focus on tiny bubbles in front of the lens. The P mode does not have a predetermined focus range. This means you can get close to your subject and keep them in focus. The whole idea of underwater shooting. Close, close, close. Example, I have video of a scorpion fishes eyes, I am so close you can see my reflection in his eye. I have shot a green eel where he was touching the wide angle lens and everything was in focus. I think you your best bet is anything under 70 feet with good natural light should be shot with the filter only (warm water). Do not use the filter with lights. Only use the light in this situation for very close macro to highlight the subject. As far as the light goes. This is an awesome light. Keep in mind that you can change the intensity of the light to make different artistic views. Now, I have only 2 night dives with this setup. I stuck with the P mode and auto WB with these conditions. The video is quite good but there might be a better setting, I don't known. THe HD footage with this camera is very good. I'm no professional but the footage looks great on my HD monitor, 92 projector, and my 42 plasma.

Back
Top Bottom