Seeking knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3sportbob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to get into technical / wreck diving. I am planning on taking courses in the future but want to further my knowledge now.

That being said please give me some recommended reading to enlighten me. Equipment setup, gear requirements, finning techniques, you know the nuts and bolts to be successfull and enjoyable. I'm looking more for the hows and whys not neccessarily horror / success stories even though I may be able to learn from them as well.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Bob

I want to get into technical / wreck diving. I am planning on taking courses in the future but want to further my knowledge now.

That being said please give me some recommended reading to enlighten me. Equipment setup, gear requirements, finning techniques, you know the nuts and bolts to be successfull and enjoyable. I'm looking more for the hows and whys not neccessarily horror / success stories even though I may be able to learn from them as well.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Bob

Learn to frog kick properly this will help with everything. There are some on line video's if you search.

I want to get into technical / wreck diving. I am planning on taking courses in the future but want to further my knowledge now. That being said please give me some recommended reading to enlighten me.

Hey Bob, Gary Gentile's books Primary Wreck Diving Guide and Advanced Wreck Diving are good places to start.

You should learn multiple propulsion techniques, precise buoyancy control, and gas management. This will give you a very good foundation. Equipment setup and concerns can also be covered during a class.

Gary Gentile's books Primary Wreck Diving Guide and Advanced Wreck Diving

Unless there are newer editions I am not aware of you may find those books a bit dated. Great books indeed but kind of old.

Also, the puns are more dangerous than a 90 fpm ascent.

Thanks guys - I ordered one of gentile's books and the DIR book from GUE. That should give me some material to digest while I figure which course I want to take next.

ppo2_diver - I may be contacting you in the near future.

You should learn multiple propulsion techniques, precise buoyancy control, and gas management. This will give you a very good foundation. Equipment setup and concerns can also be covered during a class.

For someone who just 'wants to get into wreck diving' isn't that peerie bit excessive to start with. Why not simply go diving with other divers on some simple wrecks first There are very few shallow wrecks which require advanced skills, they can come with time. I still think that mentoring is a better way to go than a class.
And whilst i'm perfectly capable of finning backwards, a skill that is often flagged as being important I've never needed to do so even in very tight spaces

PSAI's Advanced Wreck Diving: Penetration - Overhead is a great text that provides a cave diver's approach to wreck diving. You can order it through Professional Scuba Association International.

GUE's book Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving is a good book for understanding the trim, buoyancy, propulsion, gear and team procedures that others are talking about in previous posts and is available at Welcome | Global Underwater Explorers.

Gary Gentile also has advanced and ultimate wreck diving guide books. For lots of wreck books visit scuba equipment, Aqua Explorers, Inc  shipwreck books and Wreck Valley charter dive boat. or Gary's sit at Gary Gentile Productions.

Dan MacKay's book, Dress for Success will give you detailed information about one of the most intelligent ways to equip oneself for wreck, tech and cave diving.

I would also reccomend

Deep Descent

Fatal Depth

Diving into Darkness

Back
Top Bottom