Seeking Recommendations for Diving in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Oforme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are planning to go to Maui and would like to do a couple of 40' dives. Son is Jr. Open water diver. Looks like inside Molokini might be good. Any other suggestions? Dive shop recommendations? Even hotel recommendations? Thanks!

I was there a few years ago. MauiDreams dive shop was very good. I did three refreshers and weight check dives at Ulua Beach with them two different years, they do shore dives only. Ulua Beach is a fine shallow shore dive on a reef, my max depths were 41, 36, and 42'. It is a convenient site. Staff seemed all divers. My only shore dive in Maui but lots of fish and reef to explore. Entry is easy over a beach with gear drop off and parking close. There were other dive shops in Kihei, but the big one I stopped in was more water sports + diving oriented. Maui Dreams is just diving.

I did boat dives with both Mike Severns and Ed Robinson's. Both good boats. Most of the boat trips were a deep dive at Molakini then a shallower one nearer shore. We did the middle reef, which was ok but not great, my max on that dive was 86' but we may have dropped outside the reef first. The near shore 2nd dives were often Red hill and Tank and Half, both great, but my logs show 51 and 62'. I think those were more fun that the inner cone of Molokini. Molokini reef end drift dive is one of my favorites ever, but it is 80-90'.

First year was at a conference, the Grand Wailea is indeed grand, or grandiose. Second year on vacation with brother and son at Maui Banyan which was a fine hotel.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info! I appreciate it!

Dive the beaches that are also shallow dive sites. Ulua is good, so is Polo or Wailea nearby. I'm pretty sure the south point of Wailea Beach is just around 40' and there's a long section that's closer to 20' leading out there. There's some lava formations out there and they overhang so it's not like being in a cavern but close to it. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands lists some depths.

All in south Maui so Maui Dreams Dive Co. would be a good choice - mostly they specialize in shore diving.

In West Maui Black Rock is so shallow that in spots good snorkelers swim down. I also don't remember a lot of depth at Old Airport Beach. A more difficult entry but an excellent shallow dive is Mala Pier at the north end of Lahaina. The entire dive is 20-30' deep. Kapalua Beach is another shallow dive farther north.

Tiny Bubbles in Ka'anapali only shore dives afaik.

Inside the crater at Molokini can be deeper around the points but shallower in the middle. IDK those sites well enough to comment on which ones.

Call around to dive boat operations - some do their checkout/cert dives in the early afternoon so those sites are either all shallower or have a shallower component. For ease of getting on/off the boat - Lahaina Divers has 2 big boats with full swim platforms across the back plus ladders.

Gotta add another vote for the old Mala Pier. We just got back from 2 weeks in Maui and did 4 dives there. Entry is a bit tough but worth it.

Makena Beach/5 Caves is also a nice shore dive in South Maui. Nice entry and parking as well.

We did a scooter shore dive at the turtle cleaning station at Mile Marker 14 south of Lahaina a couple of years ago. It was a great fun dive and 40' is certainly doable at that site. Also an extremely easy entry/exit if the surf is not up.

@diversteve - Just jumping on this thread to ask if Maui or the HI islands publish a shore diving guide (similar to Bonaire, Curaçao, & Cayman Brac)? Would love to try shore diving here (have snorkeled).

Thanks for the OP question. Also watching for lds recommendations.

The seafloor inside Molokini crater averages at around 60' IIRC. Visibility can't be beat, frequently 100-200'. Call up the dive ops and see what they say re: your son and his cert level. The conditions inside the crater are about as benign as it gets. A great opportunity for your son's first boat dives.

I like staying in Lahaina at Lahaina Shores. It's walkable into town (where the good food is) and to Lahaina Divers' shop and slip. Parking is readily available and cheap ($4/day). It's a short drive to Mala Pier and Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop.

If you want direct access to a great beach and shore diving, the Sheraton at Black Rock is tops. It's more expensive and further from town, but the resort feel might appeal more to the kiddos. You can dive Blackrock with a very short walk from your room, but you'll need to get tanks from an LDS like Lahaina divers.

@EricTheDood , do you have to stay at the Sheraton to shore dive the reef right outside their property? I remember we snorkeled around that area years ago.

@EricTheDood , do you have to stay at the Sheraton to shore dive the reef right outside their property? I remember we snorkeled around that area years ago.

You don't need to stay at the Sheraton. There's garaged (pay) parking available at the Sheraton that's open to non-guests.

There's a bit of a walk from the garage so it's best to drop off your gear at the end of the road by the golf course.

Back
Top Bottom