Seeking unbiased regulator advice, Poseidon or Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@flots am, I beginning to realize that people use what the local dive shops sell and push, I understand that that diving has a limited market and they do their best to upsell stuff, which I understand from their point of view sales means money and keeps them in business, however I am not made of it, I am with you I would buy used on ebay and get it serviced and that's what I ended up doing as I know Poseidon's history and quality, I have yet to be able to buy new everything except for my mask and fins has been used, I guess which frustrates me is the dive shops push their products rather than honesty, I guess that why I was never a good salesman.

They can push whatever they want, but you don't have to buy it. :cool:

Also, don't feel guilty about buying used. The shops charge for service too, and your used reg will need periodic service just like a new one. If a shop can't make a go of it doing service, selling air, teaching classes, running local dives and organizing trips, that's really not your problem. Also every used reg you'll ever see, was originally sold by a dive shop somewhere. It's not like eBay is using a matter replicator. :cool:

If you like Poseidon, and there's a good Poseidon service facility near you (or you don't mind making friends with the FedEx guy), feel free to buy one used!

Note that I don't know anything about the brand or parts availability, so you might want to check out the model you're looking at to make sure you can still get parts.

flots

@Vlmuke. I grew up around "the D" (Detroit) and have been diving Poseidon regs for the past 6 years. While many on SB are not fans of them, you will find that around the balmy Great Lakes region they still have a presence. Depending on where in the D you are located, you would find a few Poseidon friendly shops in the area. However, when I have mine serviced, I drop them off to Divers Inc. in Ann Arbor Michigan and have Rich Synowiec service them. He dives Poseidon (Jetstreams if I recall correct).

Take the Poseidon.

But did I understand you correctly? "...a Cyklon 300 with a Jetstream octo"
Does that mean you have both types of second stages? You can use them together, but at the Jetstream's preferred IP, which is lower than the Cyklon's limit. The Cyklon works fine at 123-130 psi (the recommended Jetstream IP) and this is a common setting for cold water diving, but the Cyklon can handle 167 psi (especially useful at depth).
The reverse isn't possible. A Jetstream will be far too abrupt, even assuming it could handle an IP that high.
But maybe you meant a Cyklon 300 first stage with an attached Jetstream second stage. That's a good regulator set. Just set it at 130 psi and enjoy!
PM me if you can't find service. I'll take care of those regs for you.

Last edited:
2013 Suggested retail price for a new Jetstream servo valve is now $38.82.
Yes, Poseidon parts prices have dropped signifcantly in the last several years.
It's the new Xstream servo that's $150.00.

No I passed on the cyklon 300 set up I instead bought the 2 Odin/Jetstreams second stages that were for sale, If you see my other thread I had some issues with my LDS not wanting to put them on my 1st stages, I was away from the computer for a few days due to work but I ended up contacting Poseidon directly and he explained that they would work just like you I believe you said it as well rsingler and once I explained what basically you said and the person at Poseidon said he is installing them on my 1st stages Thanks again!!!

Yes, Poseidon parts prices have dropped signifcantly in the last several years.
It's the new Xstream servo that's $150.00.

Oops! My error. Even the Xstream servo valve, PN 4545 is $45.66 retail. Not cheap, but not $150 either.

Overhauling an Xstream Duration in the shop right now. Man, but the second stage comes apart and goes together a lot more easily than even a plain old downstream 2nd. And it's easier than the Jetstream, too! Both are great regs.

My first reg was an Oceanic Delta 4 with an Octo-Swiv. I also own a Cyklon 300 that I picked up used. Frankly, there is no contest. The Cyklon breathes much easier, even with the Delta's adjustable venturi.

@flots am, I beginning to realize that people use what the local dive shops sell and push, I understand that that diving has a limited market and they do their best to upsell stuff, which I understand from their point of view sales means money and keeps them in business, however I am not made of it, I am with you I would buy used on ebay and get it serviced and that's what I ended up doing as I know Poseidon's history and quality, I have yet to be able to buy new everything except for my mask and fins has been used, I guess which frustrates me is the dive shops push their products rather than honesty, I guess that why I was never a good salesman.

My local dive shop sells and pushes oceanic but my last two set ups were Scubapro. I still have my oceanic regs and they are good regs, but I prefer the scubapros, and I know a local tech whom I trust who services scubapro.

Back
Top Bottom