Seems logical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am setting up a pony rig for next season. I don't know what the bleed down rate is for a Sherwood 1st stage, eventhough I have been using them forever, but it is a tiny trickle by anyones standards. The Brut is a simple reg and has a reputation of durability. If it is properly maintained (serviced), you should be good to go. My thoughts on the button gauge versus SPG, is two fold: As pointed out, once you establish the tank is full you don't really need know much else. I would like to know how much of charge it has incase it was bleed out accidently, or used and then forgotten to be charged. An SPG takes a volume of air to give a reading. When I was setting up my reg I did a comparison between the reg with an SPG and with a button gauge. I was drawing down the air in setup with the SPG in about 3 breaths, with the button gauge it was gone in about 1-1.5 breaths. That means that you will have to recharge the Pony much more frequently than you would with just a button gauge. In addition, you will probably find the task loading much easier if you have one less hose to worry about. I am planning sling mounting off the front of my BCD, it will make me more balance on land/boat if I am not adding additional weight behind me when I am already wearing a steel 100.

The only issue I would have is in the handling of the pony.

The Sherwood regulator has that silly bleed thing on the first stage that would require you to leave the regulator turned on during the dive. Ordinarily one would "charge" the pony bottle by turning it on before the dive and then turn it off during the dive, only opening it if it were necessary.

R..

Thanks for the feedback. I actually forgot about the bleed of the 1st stage. Obviously something to consider since I won't be able to get another reg.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2013 at 03:18 PM ----------

Thanks to you all for the information. The only other reg I have is the Sherwood so I'll have to use it. I believe having the pony is better than not having it at all even if the reg bleeds the bottle. Under normal circumstances it shouldn't happen and if it does occur I can cut short my dive for safety reasons.

I'm still at odds with respect to the gauge and will have to do more research on the button gauges. I do however like the idea of being able to read the SPG during the dive hence the hose. This would be eliminated by slinging it up front rather than on my primary tank.

More to consider ...

Thanks

I use button gauges also, they are good enough for what I need them to to and I don't want another hose to manage.
They do make them in small and large sizes, the small ones are very difficult to read and I would avoid.
As for the reg, all you need is reliable and the Brute is that. Normally I tune my cracking pressure up a bit for a pony, in you case that's done already.
The bleed down would concern me a bit as you may very well leave it on between dives and forget to check it. If you use it, just be anal about turning it off between dives.

The bleed down would concern me a bit as you may very well leave it on between dives and forget to check it. If you use it, just be anal about turning it off between dives.

If I were to compare the estimated gas loss of the first stage bleed and the pressurizing the a HP hose for each dive, I would say pressurizing the hose is much more of a tax on the bottle than the bleed down would be. It just isn't worth worrying about. If you wanted to, you could easilly pick up a spare 1st stage on e-bay for next to nothing.

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about the gas loss, more about the need to leave the first stage on during the dive

R..

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about the gas loss, more about the need to leave the first stage on during the dive

R..

I doubt leaving the gas off would be a greater consern than it would be otherwise. The bleed off is based on pressure above ambient. The pressure inside the 1st stage will keep the water out and will be affected no differently than any other reg. Sherwoods have an excellent reputation for reliability. If it was a problem, they would have a rep that reflects it. The likelihood of water getting inside is the same as with any other reg. An accidental purge is much more likely to happen than anything else. I have a 30+ y.o. magnum that I still love, never had a failure. Brut has been a rental work horse for decades. I would say that says something. I think that reg would be rock solid on a pony. The reg is going to be hard to kill, of course if you have a OOA diver grab it with the valve off, he is going to depressurize the system and A) put him into a bigger panic B) make it even more like that the reg is going to get water inside.

I doubt leaving the gas off would be a greater consern than it would be otherwise. The bleed off is based on pressure above ambient. The pressure inside the 1st stage will keep the water out and will be affected no differently than any other reg. Sherwoods have an excellent reputation for reliability. If it was a problem, they would have a rep that reflects it. The likelihood of water getting inside is the same as with any other reg.

aaaaaahhhhhh.... ok then. I assumed that the dry bleed valve would allow the pressure inside the first stage to return to zero. What you're saying is that this won't happen?

Also, I know they have a good reputation. I, in no way, wanted to imply that they didn't. I was just concerned about the inside of the first stage getting wet if the stage were (as it normally would be) off during the dive.

R..

My problem with a button is that they are not very accurate. If you loose a couple hunderd PSI because someone has bumped the purge, you'll never see it. I prefer the gauge on a short (6") hose.

Safety bottles should be left charged but closed until needed. There should be no way to lose a couple hundred psi of gas by bumping the purge. You would simply lose the charge on the reg and hoses.

Safety bottles should be left charged but closed until needed. There should be no way to lose a couple hundred psi of gas by bumping the purge. You would simply lose the charge on the reg and hoses.

I agree, but it is not a good idea on Atomic second stages. Their “Seat Saving Orifice” is open when unpressurized and will fill with water at depth. You can use it turned off but you have to purge it well before breathing or you get a pretty heavy water spray down your throat. You also want to purge it after use since sucking in water that has marinated in your dive locker for months probably isn’t good for the lungs or the regulator.

Atomic Aquatics Second Stage Regulator Design

Keeping it turned off may add a little time to turn on before you can use it, but it prevents free-flow when jumping in and leaks from unknowingly draining the pony…. another reason to mount it valve-down.

I doubt leaving the gas off would be a greater consern than it would be otherwise. The bleed off is based on pressure above ambient. The pressure inside the 1st stage will keep the water out and will be affected no differently than any other reg.

Leaving the gas off is a problem. The dry bleed is ment to keep water out of the first stage, this is the reason that Sherwoods are so relable. By keeping water out of the first stage all the problems associated with seawater in the 1st are gone and long term wear is your only enemy.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
Rust never sleeps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom