Seen this on an lds website and thought it was interesting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[/B]

I am currently an advanced certified diver, however, it is with SDI. Does this mean that if I dive to 145' that the PADI police are going to come arrest me?

Just the fact that you started PADI and went to a different agency means that the PP are just looking for a reason to get you. Instead of a Speed trap it will be a deepS trap. Your :mooner: is grass and they are gonna play lawmower. :lotsalove:

I actually knew a PADI instructor that was so indoctrinated into their way of life 59' and you were ok, hit 61 and he'd raise sand. He required that my wife take his deep diving course (he wouldn't accept SSI's) before taking divemaster. It was funny when comparing log books that she had twice the number of deep dives that he did.

I just thought that was funny.

It was funny the first 57 times. Now it's kind of an old joke.

A couple of things:

A. Lots of dive charters (dive boat or the chartering scuba shop) won't let you go with them without AOW if they were to go to a site that's pretty deep (excess of accepted recreational standard) or blue water. I think that it's more of a liability issue than actually trying to sell a class because you don't necessarily do an AOW with this particular shop and definitely not with the dive boat companies.

B. In this particular case, it does sound like the shop is trying to milk out a class from prospective diver. Nothing wrong with trying to make a buck, but this is shameless misadvertisement/infomercial.

I am currently an advanced certified diver, however, it is with SDI. Does this mean that if I dive to 145' that the PADI police are going to come arrest me?

From the site you linked to (and in fact immediately preceding sentence you quoted):

** (Advanced)** Requires a Padi Advance Diver Card or equivalent**

Your SDI Advanced certification constitutes "equivalent".

A couple of things:

A. Lots of dive charters (dive boat or the chartering scuba shop) won't let you go with them without AOW if they were to go to a site that's pretty deep (excess of accepted recreational standard) or blue water. I think that it's more of a liability issue than actually trying to sell a class because you don't necessarily do an AOW with this particular shop and definitely not with the dive boat companies.

B. In this particular case, it does sound like the shop is trying to milk out a class from prospective diver. Nothing wrong with trying to make a buck, but this is shameless misadvertisement/infomercial.

How can the above statements co-exist on one post? Did you really look at the website? http://www.expresswatersports.com/pages/scuba-diving/dive-sites.php

I read the site. I don't see any hard sell.

or Enroll in The Advanced diver course. Diving on a site deeper than your certification level is a violation of PADI diving standards. ie Just take the class either at home or here.

No mis-advertisement/infomercial that I can see.

I read the site. I don't see any hard sell.

or Enroll in The Advanced diver course. Diving on a site deeper than your certification level is a violation of PADI diving standards. ie Just take the class either at home or here.

No mis-advertisement/infomercial that I can see.

Agreed. That "either at home" really clarifies the issue. If they were just trying to sell cards, they wouldn't suggest (first, I may add) that divers get certified elsewhere.

No, it's the Scuba Police, but they haul you off in the PADI wagon... :)
And throw you into a cell full of PADIphiles.

And throw you into a cell full of PADIphiles.

:rofl3:

That term could be used as a universal PADI term of endearment by all those carrying certs from non-PADI organizations..

Back
Top Bottom