Self Portraits using handheld monopod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daveneo6

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm interested in opinions on using a hand held monopod to take pictures of me and the gf while on our vacation in Belize. I was thinking something of something like an XSP1 Pocket Xshot Extendable Hand Held Monopod attached to the underwater housing of my camera. My goal is to not have to bother someone else to take our picture all the time. I figure with this approach we can take plenty of couples shots underwater whenever we want to.

I haven't been able to find anything made for underwater but since this is only about $20 to me that's worth it potentially corroding after diving for a few days. Of course I'd be rinsing it off and attempting to take care it.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this? Thanks in advance for your input!

Dave

For the most part, these are stainless steel and dense plastic which will have no problems. The fixing bolt that holds the angle of the pivot head however is cheap uncoated steel and will only last the duration of the vacation (even if you dismantle and clean it after every dive). That said, buy cheap and write it off as part of the vacation. Stainless Steel Retractable Monopod for Digital Camera free shipping at priceangels.com also sale on photography,digital photography,photography gadgets,photography accessories ,camera equipment,digital cameras,professional camcorders,lens,filters,tr
The x-shot pocket extends to 27" and the one at the link extends to 43" but also starts out 1 3/8" longer.

If you are handy with tools, when you get back cut off the dense plastic end, drill a hole in it and thread in a stainless steel 1/4-20 stud. This assembly works great with a gopro but if you need it to work with a regular camera, attach an inexpensive ball mount. This will eliminate any pieces that rust.

x-shot.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the fantastic reply! I think I'd rather go with the one from your link considering it's stainless steel, cheaper and longer when extended.

I'm definitely a DIY type of person who enjoys crafting custom gadgets so I will take your advice!

I've got the same inexpensive monopod that you have shown in the middle of your photo. How did you attach the 1/4" 20 screw to the middle? I want to eliminate the plastic piece on mine

Once you cut off the hard plastic end, there is still about 1/2" of plastic that extends down inside the stainless tubing. Just drill it out big enough to thread in 1/4-20 stud. I actually tapped the inside of the hole on mine but it is not really necessary. I also used a bit of epoxy to keep it from unthreading. The 1/4-20 stud was cut from a longer bolt.

Thats such an awesome idea. I had the gopro tripod adapter on it, and with the knuckle thats on there its a pain in the ass to keep it from flopping all over the place. Im gonna try this and then add the mini ball head.. its like having the Xshot pro that they are releasing.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom