Self-reliant diving in Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
WS007

WS007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has someone here information, or a link, about self-reliant scubadiving in Greece (I am asking for a friend)?

Thanks, Wolfgang

Neos Maramaras coast guard also tells me that only those five agencies can legaly dive in Greece.

PS: attleast that is how I understand their email, their english is a little off....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-22-09-46-00-608_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-22-09-46-00-608_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_2023-10-22-09-46-16-956_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-22-09-46-16-956_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 48
I can't really interpret 100% the first message. It looks like they are telling you where in Chalkidiki is NOT allowed to dive (Porto Koufo and Toroni), suggesting that everywhere else it is allowed - unfortunately I am not familiar with that area. They also seem to suggest that you should dive with a local operator (school as they call it) - which is definetly NOT true. Certified divers can dive without a local operator here in Greece (excluding forbiden areas of course).

The second image/message is the list of officially registered organization. Apparently the only officially recognized/registered organizations, so far, here in Greece are : ANTI. PADI, the Greek one (EOYwhatever), SSI and IAN(T). According to this message, any other organization is excluded i.e. divers holding certificates from unregistered organizations are not allowed to dive in Greece!!!

Keep in mind that people who have any certificate (eg OW, AOW) with any of the registered organizations will be good to go.

If I was certified with any other organization (eg CMAS, GUE etc) I would send them a query/question about it. For example., I've seen online GUE instructors advertising their courses locally - maybe they operate under the radar? Who knows? In anyway the local market is pretty small, so I'd guess "smaller" organizations don't bother registering.

I am "only" PADI, SSI and IANTD so I am covered - no point for me to ask around for other organizations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom