Selling Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theduckguru

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Assuming you paid average retail prices for gear you were selling in very good to excellent condition, how much depreciation do you expect?

It depends on how old it is, but I would never expect to get more than 50% retail for used gear. I've sold gear on Ebay for 10% of what I paid just because I wasn't getting anything for it sitting in my garage.

Last edited:
OTOH I've seen people pay more than new price in auctions for second-hand gear on eBay. Go figure

The depreciation is huge the minute you walk away from the retailer's doorway.

Better said, it's a devaluation. The psyche of the SCUBA shopper, at least 99.99% of people who are first-time-buyers, is that the gear must be new in box with the warranty card. These days, fewer and fewer people are stating this expensive sport.

When you are reselling gear in the used market, your audience of potential buyers is a mere fraction of the already small universe of new-gear-buyers as above. Again, most all will buy new, most of those will drop out fairly quickly and resell their gear on Craig's List (immediately or in 18 years). The used buyer type? Now you're dealing with habitual lifelong divers. A swarthy lot.

Looking at the majority of asking prices on Craig's List can give you the idea that somebody- either you or them- doesn't know what an out-of-hydro steel 72 with webbing straps is worth or maybe what that Healthways tunic top will fetch. I think it's the seller who has overestimated, but I could be wrong.

On eBay, I see a fair market for very recent models of regulators, the tech leaning BC's, tech gear in general. Computers and dive watches can do well.

There is no market for low-med end consumer fins or masks... not much on even high end masks, maybe it's the ick factor. Snorkels? Take a guess... that and most wetsuits- if they're not likely dry rotted, there is the lingering size issue and the inability to try it on, return it... and again- the ick factor because of the warhammer becoming common parlance what with the Googles and all.

I sell all sorts of things on e-auction sites. I write a good header- that's where the search engine hits- lots of photos and descriptions, i don't hurt people on shipping- and I start everything at 99¢ and select 10 day durations that end the auction at 7pm Pacific time. ebay (and auction sites) will tell you what something is really worth.

there will also be great impacts if models and/or brands are no more. No, I'm not talking about vintage status.

It is crazy to purchase new gear at retail price in the first place.

When you do sell, Ebay is a great option. Late spring is a great time as people are shopping for the upcoming season. Fall is a great time for bargin hunting buyers

For most items that are recent models and in good-to-new condition, I'll pay roughly 50% or lowest available new price (not MSRP). There are variations -- computers seem to fetch a bit more, exposure suits less (I'd never buy a used wetsuit, but did get a good deal on a used drysuit). Even in new condition, I figure the 50% discount covers the lack of warrantee and the risks involved in buying from a private party (caveat emptor) rather than from a business.

If condition is near perfect and the equipment recently purchased, you might get a little more than 50%, but not much.

all the more reason to get the best deals possible when you do buy new. on the right deals, you can buy new, use it a few years (or more) and sell it for what you paid for it, or slightly less. i've bought new gear in the past at 50 to 75 % off of regular retail.
but if you run to your local dive shop and pay full list, you will surley loose big money when you decide to sell.

edit.....just to clarify.....i live in canada so the best deals i find are out of the u.s. hard to find gear up here that is deep discounted. but i can usually find deals out of the u.s. at 50 to 75 % of canadian retail. only caution i have for people is to make sure your warranties still apply. some do. some don't. some i have had to make special arrangements with dealers etc. but honestly, most people i know up here are not willing to put in the time i do when shopping. and they are more than happy to just run on down to the local shop and buy from them to save the hassle. but for me, if i did not find the best deals, i would not be able to afford to buy my own gear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom