Semi-dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichiganScott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone here ever added seals to a wetsuit to make a semi-dry suit?
I was thinking the other day as cold water was trickeling down my back how nice it would be to have a dry suit with out the price tag, and yes I know there are a few "less expensive" models out there or used suits for about half price, but most off the rack stuff is not usually tailored for us ummm, larger mamals.

So that was the first question, the second would be how effective are the semi-dry suits? I've only talked with one person who has used one, and he switched to a regular dry suit.

I can't add any insight to your question, but I'm anxious to see the responses you get…

I'm on the West side of the lake to your east and my LDS has recommended I go with a 6.5 or 7mil Semi-dry suit, rather than a standard wet-suit. I've held off because the jump in the price tag seems pretty steep for seals and a different zipper … If converting a wet-suit to semi-dry is a reasonable DIY project my dilemma may be solved!!

Thanks for the comment, and I hope to get some serious response to this, because I have an extra wet suit I can play around with, but to buy a dry suit right now would be cost prohibitive for me, as my wife would have my funeral cost to contend with AFTER she um, discussed the price tag with me.

A semi dry suit is just a wetsuit with a bigger advertising budget. A properly fitting wetsuit SHOULD minimize the intrusion of and exchange of water in the suit. There is a relatively small difference between a wetsuit and a semidry wetsuit, but an absolutely HUGE difference between either of them and a drysuit.

Here in New England I encourage all of my students to do their checkout dives in one of my rental wetsuits, and then come diving with me to try out a drysuit before making any decision on which suit to buy. Most go dry in the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom