Semidry Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello
I'm looking to replace my ageing semidry suit and like the looks of the Isotherm semidry and 2nd Skin and the Antarctica but could not read on the thickness and protection on these suit's! :confused:

Most of the time all I need is a semidry as I live in Arkansas and it gets cold but
"I think" not so cold to need a dry suit.

the Isotherm seems to be my best bet but I would like some feedback! :D

Avon,

I am going to have to be brief, but I want to say a couple of things. The Isotherm is the absolute best compromise between wet and dry, in fact many people will testify that the Isotherm could be considered dry for a long time. Some people don't get wet using this suit, at least for the beginning of it's life.

The Isotherm is a very warm suit by itself. You will most likely not need any other layers of insulation, unless you are diving extreme cold.

Antactica 2nd skin is not available in the U.S.

If you have detailed questions please post and I'll do my best. Give me a little time, it's a busy week.

Best,

A drysuit allows you to be just that dry, check out a suit like DUI's 30/30 tropical suit . . . expensive but a happy medium between dry/wet/semidry suits . . .

HI AvontheDiver:

I have used the Mares Isotherm trilastic suit. The suit does not allow much water to pass through. My chest always remained dry after each dive. I like the double cuff system but I did find the external cuff to be a bit short. It's quite nice at low to mid depth (anything above 80 feet). Below 80, the suit does compress and you do feel the cold. Although, every neoprene suit will do this. I found it easy to don/doff by myself, with the use of a long lanyard for the rear zipper.

CHL

The Isotherm is the absolute best compromise between wet and dry, in fact many people will testify that the Isotherm could be considered dry for a long time. Some people don't get wet using this suit, at least for the beginning of it's life.
+1

My only gripe with the Isotherm is that it runs tight across the back and shoulders- real tight. But it is as dry as a wetsuit can be. That and the fact that they added about $200 to the price late last year.

well I think I'm going to try the Isotherm it sounds like what I'm after.
My smi now is getting really hard to get on an off and the seals are ripping off so after 13 years its time to trade up.

what hood do you guys use? is their a type that that is built to use with this suit?

and thanks for all of the help!

All the suits I use are based on having a neck seal. My custom Otter Bay wetsuits, the semi-dry Isotherm and Harvey's drysuits all have a neoprene neck seal. This, in conjunction with the custom, face-seal dry hood I also get from Otter Bay, allows me to get an absolutely dry fit with the no-frills IST full-face mask I use with with all my suits.

Back
Top Bottom