Sensing Direction of Sounds

Can you sense the direction a sound is coming from underwater?

• Yes. Almost always

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Only once in a while

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Nope. Don't have a clue.

Votes: 49 48.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
Many people have posted that divers can't tell what direction a sound is coming from when underwater. OTOH, most of the time I can tell which direction a boat is approaching from, and can tell the direction of approaching divers from the sound of their breathing before I see them.

Sometimes I have to rotate my head back and forth to get a good fix on the direction, but only rarely does a sound seem to come from everywhere.

How about you? How well can you sense directions of sound underwater?

i think it is physically impossible underwater for you to detect the differential lapse of time between the sound reaching your right as opposed to your left ear

(which is how you can tell which way it's coming from)

sound just travels too fast under water

but ... if you can do it (no cheating and peeking) that's pretty awesome

I can always tell which way a boat is coming from as I surface - its always the opposite direction I'm looking!

Sound travels about 4 times faster in water than in air...approx. 4800 ft/sec as compared to approx 1100 ft/sec in air. This is because water is denser, which means molecules are closer together and therefore vibrations can be transmitted more easily. I know some people who say they can determine where sound is coming from underwater. When I'm in pool sessions with students...as a DM...one of the instructors has a way of getting attention by banging his fist against his hand...The first thing I do is "look for" the instructor. I know the sound but obviously don't know exactly where the sound is coming from. As far as boats...I can say I have no idea from which direction the sound is coming from...If I thought I did know I wouldn't want to try to prove it:)

Everyone says that I should be able to hear better underwater - but I can't.

I am practically deaf underwater - there is always water between my ears and hood - it's not uncomfortable, I just can't hear much.

I can't even hear my wife bubbling pretty close to me - just my own noises.

rawls:
When I'm in pool sessions with students...as a DM...one of the instructors has a way of getting attention by banging his fist against his hand...The first thing I do is "look for" the instructor.

That's how we get people's attention as well. One large class, we had a couple of instructors and a few DMs (my wife and I included). At the conclusion of a drill, I hear clapping.

I look at one instructor. Then at the other instructor. Next I run through all the other DMs. And finally I check on all the students. However, I failed to check on the wife - who was clapping to get my attention.

I now check on her second :p

I have occasionally thought I could, but I think it is physically impossible.

I think I have guessed the right direction sometimes and it seems like I knew what direction it was coming from. I suspect a lot of people have the same effect.

I have no clue what direction it's coming from. It's a strange feeling actually because we're so used to having this skill on land. The only thing I know is that the boat is at the surface. :wink:

Note to my buddies: It's not that I can't hear you, it's just that I'm not listening. :D

Back
Top Bottom