Sensorcon CO analyzer without using the scuba adapter kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used the Sensorcon CO analyzer without the scuba adapter kit to check CO levels in a scuba tank? I ask because the rep at Sensorcon told me that they are going to discontinue the scuba tank adapter kit because the feedback they have received is that it is overkill and they have not sold enough units to make it viable. They may come up with something else in the future, but have no plans on the drawing board at this time. They will still continue to manufacture the sensor unit, so at least it is not going to go the way of the Analox CO analyzer, but I do not want to buy the unit if it is not going to give valid information without the scuba attachment kit. Thank you in advance for any thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited:
so get one (the scuba adapter) quick before they stop selling them.....

Be it a O2 or CO meter, I do not like the "big blast" out of a valve (just me) for monitoring/sampling.

It'll work fine without the fancy adapter. Just keep the flow rate down. I use a little plastic hose to the Sensorcon input, and feed the hose from a normal DIN screw-in flow reducer that I also use for the O2 sensor.

You can also easily make one with a restrictor device, DIN plug, DIN/Yoke adapter. If you look at it all the kit does is make use of some spare parts you can find in many hardware stores or a place like Grainger, NESS, etc. along with the tank adapter.

I just stick mine straight to the valve or (more frequently) into the hole on the mouthpiece on one of my second stages. Then, SLOWLY push the air across it/into it and it's fine. I did that with a known CO source and a bunch of clean tanks. Worry with too much pressure is usually false-high readings. I've yet to get a false high....except for on a boat where the sensor picked up the exhaust CO.

You can also easily make one with a restrictor device, DIN plug, DIN/Yoke adapter. If you look at it all the kit does is make use of some spare parts you can find in many hardware stores or a place like Grainger, NESS, etc. along with the tank adapter.

Did you find a source for the overpressure fitting they supply with their kit?

I could certainly buy the kit or make one, but I am hoping to be able to use it safely without having to deal with plastic tubes, adapters, etc., which are more potential fail points. The attractive feature of the Analox was the ability to test directly from the tank. But that horse has left the barn.

20150205_212715.jpgNot sure what the concern is. This is the kit that comes with the Sensorcon CO sensor. Nothing more than a .5 lpm flow restrictor and a blow by valve, plus a couple of connectors.

Here is another option. they can be purchased individually or in a 4 pac.co.jpg

BTW, if you ever have an issue getting your Sensorcon to calibrate, you can send it over here. I calibrate, at 50ppm, then verify at both 50 and 25ppm and am coming up with +-2ppm at a flow rate of .5lpm, $35 and I ship back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom