Sensuishi needed in Okinawa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedi_diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi divers,

I have a question about teaching diving in Okinawa or in Japan for all purposes. I was recently told by one of my Japanese friends (she's a PADI OWSI), that you have to take a test for a Japanese National Diving license or a "sensuishi" in order to teach in Okinawa. She said that if you don't have that sensuishi qualification that no one will hire you as an instructor. She said you can work as a DM without it but in order to teach, you have to pass that test.

I did a little research on it and it seems like they only have that test in Japanese. I am really confident in my Japanese, but this test looks tough. Does anyone have any info on this or know if it is available in Engrish?

Thanks

JD

Follow up:
Here is the respose I received from PADI Japan:

Hello,

Thank you for your email.
I'm not sure what "OKINAWA test" means, but probably it might be a national license called "Sensui-shi".

Regardless of nationality, a diving professional who wish to work in Japan needs to have this license. And especially in OKINAWA, the regulation is applied so strictly that you will be asked for your being qualified as "Sensui-shi" by employer or a police.

For more information on this regulation, please contact The OKINAWA Marine leisure Safety Bureau foundation(OMSB).

support@omsb.jp

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

I look forward to hearing responses to this one, as I have never heard of such a thing....

Sensuishi is required but most do not have and noone is really checking. Julian did it some while ago in Japanese. I got the materials at home and can bring to Tokyo next time. It is very 'useful' knowledge, you will learn oxygen is non-narcotic and to make the deepest dive first...

Although the test is on information that is not used or you should already know it is required by law. Most shops in Okinawa are requiring it to work down here- although I have never been asked for it by the police or anyone in authority.

Hi Divers,
Thanks for the answers you gave so far. Does anyone know if this test is available in English?

No, it was not available 1 year ago.

Hi guys,

Just a follow up. I have written an email to PADI JAPAN again to ask them what they recommend. Once I get a response I will post it up here for you to see. At this point I am not going to worry about it. I will cross that bridge when I get there. I will just focus on passing my IE this March!

Thanks,
JD

The test materials for Sensuishi are not available in English, nor will they be. The boating license test, etc. are available in English if you are interested. Contact Tokyo Sail and Power Squadron for more info.

Hi divers,

As promised here is the response from PADI Japan

Hello,
Thank you for sending question and asking about taking a “Sensuishi” license ,I am Inoue working in Training Department in PADI Japan. I yesterday reaffirmed with "Anzen eisei siken kyokai" if they have a plan to make it available in the English ,but answer was Not. Unfortunately there are nothing PADI cloud assist you ,Sorry,because the “Sensuishi” license is required under Japan law,so those people who speak primary English seem have to take it in Japanese. As you feel ,we feel it unreasonable and should be available in several languages, What we would like you to understand is that PADI Japan is not requiring but recommended ,in the meanwhile Japan government require that ,For your information,the regulating authority is below, so that you can make a direct contact.

財団法人 安全衛生技術試験協会(Anzen eisei siken kyokai)
〒101-0065 東京都千代田区西神田3-8-1
千代田ファーストビル東館9階        
TEL 03-5275-1088
ŽŽŒ±ŽÀŽ{“Œv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom