Separate Hose Mounted SPG for Pony Overkill??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been diving for only 1 year. Moving over to a BP and wing setup as I will be advancing my trianing and wanted gear I could grow into. Will be diving with a 19 pony as a sencondary air source. Pony will be mounted to main tank. I have heard different opinions on whether a button SPG on pony itself is the way to go or not. Some have mentioned to me that a separate SPG routed to plate (same as primary) is a good addition as i would be able to check both air supplies during a dive. The logic I was given is that if there were say a leak on the pony or other malfunction on backup I would catch it before potentiall needing it during a dive as it would be part of the air checks throughout the dive. My only concern is I am trying to stick with the KISS approach and am a fan of more is not always better. Would value your inputs on this? Thanks for sharing your experience.

George

Pony management... when I carry a pony, (or any other bottle I'm not actively breathing) I charge the system and then turn the gas off, so that in the event of an unnoticed freeflow I can be assured that the tank doesn't lose any gas. I periodically check the charge and replenish it if the pressure has dropped significantly. Keeping the system charged eliminates the possibility of water getting into the second stage hose.
To manage my additional tank(s) this way requires a pressure gauge, and the ability to reach the valve. For me, that means a slung pony with a (button or hose mounted) pressure gauge :)
An additional benefit to a slung pony is that it's easier to donate to an OOA diver should the need arise.
Rick

Been diving for only 1 year. Moving over to a BP and wing setup as I will be advancing my trianing and wanted gear I could grow into. Will be diving with a 19 pony as a sencondary air source. Pony will be mounted to main tank. I have heard different opinions on whether a button SPG on pony itself is the way to go or not. Some have mentioned to me that a separate SPG routed to plate (same as primary) is a good addition as i would be able to check both air supplies during a dive. The logic I was given is that if there were say a leak on the pony or other malfunction on backup I would catch it before potentiall needing it during a dive as it would be part of the air checks throughout the dive. My only concern is I am trying to stick with the KISS approach and am a fan of more is not always better. Would value your inputs on this? Thanks for sharing your experience.

George

Diving without air is not really part of the KISS philosophy so either find another way of ensuring your air is there in the pony, get rid of the pony altogether (because having it and not using it properly is dangerous), or sling the pony rather than back mount it. No matter how you carry the pony, a guage of some sort is required to use the pony safely.

Edit *************

My pony is slung (complete with 6" hose & 1.5" gauge), a gets feathered throughout the dive, thus keeping the lines full of air, but remains closed unless needed.

Last edited:
When I carry my pony I sling it and I have a 6" hose to 2" pressure gauge. I also keep mine charged the whole dive.

If you are allready in a BPW, do yourself a favor and sling it. As others have said a gauge is a must. Button or 6" whip is the only question. The discussion of on or charged would take at least 5 pages of bandwidth, sooo pick one and be happy. I charge my deco gas and turn it off during the dive, checking the gauges occasionally to ensure reg stays charged.
YMMV
Eric

I struggled with slinging the pony and settled (for a while) with hard mounting it valve down on my right side. I could easily turn the valve on/off. It has a button gauge. My philosophy is the pony is for disaster use only. I never count on it being there. I kept the pony charged and on during the dive with a shut off valve at the regulator (off) and a pressure relief attached to the 1st stage.

Fast forward...

I finally pinned my instructor down long enough to get a good explanation on how to sling the pony. I'm much happier with it slung. It still has the button gauge (which I can now see during the dive) and the regulator still has the OPV on the 1st and the in-line shut-off on the 2nd. I keep it charged and shut-off during my dives. When I unstow my pony regulator (which I regularly do for practice) the process of unstowing opens the shut-off valve. Additionally I put in my drill opening the in-line shut-off as a matter of course.

Best practice. Don't know. It works for me and I am comfortable with it.

Slinging a pony is the way to go, but as eluded to above, there are a zillion adjustments that can be made to a slung bottle to get it to ride where you want it, as well as moving your d rings around a bit. If at first you do not like it, adjust it, repeat.
Eric

Landlocked123, Get someone to SHOW you how to sling it. I tried to rig the sling based on SB, DIR/GUE posts, etc. and must have had it slightly off as it didn't work right until I was SHOWN -- then bingo it was natural.

Good point..I have been known to mess up IKEA furniture and I don't think your life depends on that so not the time to get DIY… There is a British Fellow that hangs around the local LDS - Instructor who I hear is a techinical diver …was very helpful as he oversaw our quarry cert dives and helped the other instuctors where needed… looks like I am buying Fish & Chips !

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 04:22 PM ----------

One last question for all of you. I hear that it is good practice to use the same second stage regulator on the pony; as in identical to the primary 2nd stage. ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom