separate octopus vs. bcd inflator/second stage combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dentlfly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
getting back into the hobby. i'm sure lots of opinions here. seems like combo unit more streamlined than separate hose and octopus. but seems like more of a personal preference. feedback appreciated.

I dive a combo and have for years, yes much more streamlined (or can be) but... Harder to share air, can be more expensive, can be harder to get serviced, makes the hoses proprietary (meaning you need yours as the standard wont connect).

And looks can be misleading some integrated systems are bulky due to the vent (see the Oceanic versus the Atomic) I use the aqualung airsource 4 on my current setup but used to use the oceanic.

Oh and many people will give you a look or 3 (some are not even polite about it).

You need to realize you can help these safely, but the inflator regulator is for YOU in the case of someone out of air. Your primary regulator needs to be on at least a 40 inch hose, and if someone is out of air they get the reg and you use the inflator reg. You should practice using it while diving. If this situation feels okay for you then go for it. I prefer just having a bungee’d backup around my neck.

drk5036, it needs to be on a hose long enough to share, for some it's 36 others 48 but I keep mine short (36+ swivel) and have never had an issue, you just have make sure the person knows they will be snug :)

drk5036, it needs to be on a hose long enough to share, for some it's 36 others 48 but I keep mine short (36+ swivel) and have never had an issue, you just have make sure the person knows they will be snug :)
You can fit a 36 inch under your arm? I feel a little cramped even at 40!

dentlfly, the other consideration is are you getting an air integrated computer, if not then removing one hose might not be worth it. But I run a mini SPG of a miflex as a backup to my AI computer.

drk5036, now why would I be conventional and loop it under my arm :) in my case it's over the shoulder but yes its miflex as with rubber the angles simply dont work well, and also have the tank rotated 180 since it's way more comfortable but again not conventional, then my view is diving is not about following conventions it's truly understand, then think and finally adapt to meet your needs and preferences.

I like my atomic ss1, but use a longer hose on my primary reg for donating during sharing. Have practiced with it doing rescue scenarios, etc and it's not perfect, but gets the job done.

If you go with the alternate/inflator combo, insure it is long enough, so you don’t limit head movement. Also I would want a pull dump so I can dump air and breathe at the same time. The pull dump can be used for fine control if you practice, I got pretty at it back when I was using one.

A buddy of mine kept his alternate/inflator when he went to a BP/W, I didn’t. We both use a 40” primary, I use a bungeed backup.

Bob

I use the airsource 3. Practice using it a bit on every other dive or so. As long as my buddy is aware of the setup it works great. I have a mini-spg on HP hose on left and AI transmitter on right. Have been thinking about going to a watch on each wrist with two AI transmitters. That would get rid of my only HP hose.

The Inflator/Regulator combo is nice for Destination Recreational Diving. Streamlined, less weight etc to get through TSA/customs etc. This article is a dozen years old, but shows that some may not perform so well at the deeper recreational depths. As others have pointed out, have your primary ran under your right arm ( a swivel can help) on something around a 40 inch hose. Make sure you practice OOA drills using your Secondary. The common mistake is having it attached too tightly to your shoulder strap. 7 Backup Breathers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom