separate octopus vs. bcd inflator/second stage combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getting back into the hobby. i'm sure lots of opinions here. seems like combo unit more streamlined than separate hose and octopus. but seems like more of a personal preference. feedback appreciated.

I think they are an awful idea. Unnecessary complications are introduced to the OOA situation which is already difficult enough and life threatening if not managed properly. And the upside is very marginal, one fewer hose and second stage - does that make or break your enjoyment of the dive?

In BSAC they don’t qualify as an alternate source.

It isn’t really a personal thing, it is involved with sharing gas, so your buddy’s opinion matters. For me, I would look at you and think whether I would do the dive solo or not.

I think they are an awful idea. Unnecessary complications are introduced to the OOA situation which is already difficult enough and life threatening if not managed properly. And the upside is very marginal, one fewer hose and second stage - does that make or break your enjoyment of the dive?

It isn’t really a personal thing, it is involved with sharing gas, so your buddy’s opinion matters. For me, I would look at you and think whether I would do the dive solo or not.

I am not a fan of them as I used to have a ScubaPro Air2 unit but to say it involves unnecessary complications in air sharing is wrong.

It is the basic "primary donate" except you do not go on a bungeed backup.

Now I did not like them because they tend to pull out of your mouth easy. This happens more frequently when you are turning your head to the right. So if you don't turn your head, you are golden.

Plus as was mentioned before, the different hoses means it is harder to replace and you would likely not find one on a boat if yours failed at the last minute. it is a personal choice but if you one is going primary donate, I feel that a long(er) hose and a bungee backup is the way to go with less complications.

The alleged streamlining of inflator/second stage combination does not measure up to it’s drawbacks mentioned above.

A bungeed alternate under your chin is streamlined.

Protondecay123, pointed out one of the main issues, I use snap connectors so a gentle tug pops the hose free.

In terms of length as several people have pointed out in this setup you give away your primary so the length is just long enough to allow for full head movement. 2 dive computers work but the reality is unless your running 2 transmitters you still have a single point of failure and for recreational the truth is you simply abort the dive if you run into any issues so the backup is overkill (and I use a backup SPG so ...) not mandatory.

The issue I had with the oceanic was I had to give up my dump valve on my OMS wing, the airsource works great with my outlaw BCD.

I like the Atomic SS1 and I find there is really no disadvantage in my diving, yes it hard to turn your head to the right but try turning your head left with a short hose necklace second. I generally use a Velcro retainer for the inflator hose so it can be released easily. I prefer a short primary hose and competent dive buddies but also dive long hose and necklace more often than not.

The best combination is a Zeagle inflator and an SS1 so I can change between them as needed.

7421CD5F-3682-4B84-84AF-F8700423DC8E.jpeg
I use an Atomic SS1 with the Aeris backpack system. I secure the Secondary/Inflator with this lanyard. There’s a spot on the shoulder harness that you don’t even have to unclip it and can still turn your head to the right if using it.
7421CD5F-3682-4B84-84AF-F8700423DC8E.jpeg

...yes it hard to turn your head to the right but try turning your head left with a short hose necklace second.

My Oceanic alternate/inflator didn’t limit the range of motion of my head. A buddy had an issue with that until he replaced the alternate hose and corrugated inflator hose with longer ones. It is correctable.

Their agency, their rule. I don’t know if that has any impact on the declining membership of BSAC.

So, actually, your buddy’s opinion doesn’t matter when it comes to sharing air.

My Oceanic alternate/inflator didn’t limit the range of motion of my head. A buddy had an issue with that until he replaced the alternate hose and corrugated inflator hose with longer ones. It is correctable.

True, I use a long corrugated hose with the octo/inflator too.

Their agency, their rule. I don’t know if that has any impact on the declining membership of BSAC.

So, actually, your buddy’s opinion doesn’t matter when it comes to sharing air.

getting back into the hobby. i'm sure lots of opinions here. seems like combo unit more streamlined than separate hose and octopus. but seems like more of a personal preference. feedback appreciated.

I have done both standard octo and currently on an Air2. After having a newbie diver in my group have a panic 'i need your octopus' moment, I will be re-attaching my octopus this season.

why? because It happened so fast, I was unable to give him my primary and handed him my Air2. That put us WAY too close together. I had to really cling on to him to keep him close enough so neither his or my air source ripped away out of our mouths. Having the backup on a longer hose would have been MUCH better.

So I guess I will have 3 air sources to accommodate for 2 simultaneous emergencies :D .

I have done both standard octo and currently on an Air2. After having a newbie diver in my group have a panic 'i need your octopus' moment, I will be re-attaching my octopus this season.

why? because It happened so fast, I was unable to give him my primary and handed him my Air2. That put us WAY too close together. I had to really cling on to him to keep him close enough so neither his or my air source ripped away out of our mouths. Having the backup on a longer hose would have been MUCH better.

So I guess I will have 3 air sources to accommodate for 2 simultaneous emergencies :D .

Can you explain how you didn't have time to donate the primary and instead handed off the inflator? I could understand a situation where you are jumped and the victim snatches the AIR 2 before you can do much, but the way I read your description sounds different.

Back
Top Bottom