September 24th Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin

Resident/Token Treehugger
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
North Carolina diving, mostly flat seas, and a visit from Murphy​

We went out with Cape Fear Divers, (www.capefeardivers.com) the owner Jim Conner runs a very nice boat. The set up is a bit different them most charters, think rows of stations one behind the other with 3 divers to a station. So when you gear up you are sitting on a bench and all your stuff is in front of you. This is a little different, but works quite well. There is also a top deck which is certified for 12 divers and is a great place to hang out and relax. Oh I forgot to mention the boat is a 50’ Newton, which is roomy and has a very comfortable ride. The other thing Jim does that is different from other NC Charters is he provides drinks and snacks for the divers. It seems NC diving for the most part, it is a boat ride out the site, nothing more. I am pleased he is going a bit above and beyond with little extra touches to differentiae himself from the other operators here.

There was a very small swell, but for the most part you could not ask for better sea conditions on top, but one should not be lulled into a false sense of calm based on that alone. There was about 15’ of vis as we dropped down to the hang line, but it only got worse from there, probably still after effects from Ophelia. There was maybe 5’ of vis on the wreck, and there was a ripping current, if you didn’t hang on to the boat you could fly off and not be able to even see the boat to get back, never mind the current. We dove the Hyde and Markham. Both appeared to have tons of fish life, (from what I could tell in my 10’ of vision). In summary I would go out with Cape Fear againb but hopefully the visibility would be better.

As for Murphy.

I checked my gear the night before I left, all was fine. I hooked it up when I got to the boat all was fine, I did my final check just before donning my BC and my computer was wacked out. It did not show any pressure readings, and seemed to think I had been diving. My computer completely erases all previous data after 12 hours out of the water. Well since I hadn’t done any diving since September 2nd I should have had a clean slate. However it seemed to thing I was on dive #2 and was doing dive planning. I guess it is into Gypsy Divers on Monday. Oddly enough I have been thinking about a new puter anyway. But maybe if it can’t be fixed easily Aqua Lung will have some sort of program where I can upgrade for a small fee. I guess I will find out. I figured I would have to blow off the diving.

One of the guys on the trip, (not from our group) got majorly sick on the way out (I did take my Bonine, and it was reasonably calm, but one never knows when Murphy can strike. He kindly lent me his set up. Problem, he did not have a computer just a depth gauge, so I was basically on tables and my watch. This may have been a bigger problem if the vis had been good because I was very limited on my time for the 2nd dive based on tables. There was apparently too much line on the wreck and when I followed it down it put me at 80’, but when I continued to follow the line it took me back to the deck at 60 where I spent 95% of my dive. So technically it was a 60’ dive for 37 minutes, not an 80’ dive for 37 minutes, but in following the tables it was an 80’ dive. However since the vis was so crummy it was no big deal I did not feel cheated, and since it was BRAIL diving, it didn’t matter.

The guy who loaned me the gear, on the 2nd dive his intended buddy’s BC hose had a malfunction, and actually broke and failed. Fortunately there was an extra hose around to fix him up

One of the guys from our group (no names to protect my life), forgot his regulator set up, so he was diving on loaned gear as well.

Finally just before we left the site, someone’s tank, that was not securely fastened, tipped over and fell on the bench. Fortunately I don’t think regulator was damaged.

Of course, did I mention the lousy visibility?

I guess Murphy had a field day with us, but we did see dolphins one way back so lets put that in the plus column. All in all, despite the underwater conditions it was a fun day and I will definitely be back out with Cape Fear Divers.

LindaBluedolphin:
The guy who loaned me the gear, on the 2nd dive his intended buddy’s BC hose had a malfunction, and actually broke and failed. Fortunately there was an extra hose around to fix him up

One of the guys from our group (no names to protect my life), forgot his regulator set up, so he was diving on loaned gear as well.

Just wanted to add that it was Capt Jim who had the spare hoses and regs on board to solve these issues. Hats off to Jim and his crew (and Linda for arranging it).

All in all it was a trip. Jim and the guys from Cape fear Divers run a first class operation. I'm ready to go again.

Thanks again to Linda for putting it all together.

Kudos to the crew for the Friday dives as well. The viz was of course no better than it was Saturday, but the boat and crew were first rate. Having 4 crew people for 4 divers is enough to spoil someone in a hurry! For me Friday's night dive on the Hyde was the best dive of the weekend. The water was still murky, but somehow the total darkness seemed to cut down the glare. I actually saw more at night than I did during the day. Thanks Jim & company for a great trip.

Frank

Thanks to Linda, Marci, Tom, Henry, Franklin, Ken and the other Scubaboarders whom I didn't meet -- and to the captain and crew for Cape Fear Divers (I second, or third, or whatever, the kind words already said about that op) -- for your hospitality before, during and after the Saturday dive. Sorry about the viz but...c'est la vie; the viz kinda reminded me of a Texas scubapark. :) But, I haven't given up on NC at all, and will look forward to another, longer diving trip in your waters.

Bill
Dallas TX

Bill so glad you could join us and I hope you had a nice rest of your visit in North Carolina, let us know when you plan to be back we are always diving!

Linda,

Thanks for the trip report. Someday, I'll have to get down there and go diving with you and the NC Wreck Divers.

DennisW:
Linda,

Thanks for the trip report. Someday, I'll have to get down there and go diving with you and the NC Wreck Divers.
You're welcome any time Dennis. We are shooting to go again on October 8th if the weather cooperates.

It probably won't be until next Summer. I have every weekend through December booked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom