Serial to USB Adapter cable for Vyper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstrek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Suunto Vyper (1999 model) that has a serial interface. I just replaced an older PC and the new PC does not have a serial interface on it.

Has anyone successfully used a serial to usb adapter cable? If so, what have you found works (or doesn't work)?

I am still using Dive Manger 1.6 as I've read there might be issues with newer versions of DM.

Thanks!
Gary

I have a Suunto Vyper from the same year. I'd say the serial to USB cable should work. I have other serial devices that work with the adapter I have.

You'll end up with something like an emulated COM5 or emulated COM6. Be sure to plug into the same USB port each time because I've noticed that if you plug into a different USB port you'll get a different emulated com port number.

But I have the USB-to- Vyper cable so I cannot verify. If I can get my hands from a dive buddy that has serial-to-Vyper I can test it out.

Thanks, Gill. I may just head up to my local MicroCenter and see what they have (DB9 male to usb).

I used a Belkin serial to usb for an xp system and it work good. My win7 system does not like the drivers and I can't find any at this time but it is an old Belkin adapter.

I have the IO Gear Serial-to-USB adapter which have drivers that work with Windows, Linux, and Mac and I have used the adapter on all three platforms. The chipset is well supported on all the platforms. Works well for me.

Anything with the PL2303 chipset (if you search for pl2303 serial usb adapter on ebay, you should find one cheap) should work well. Most modern OS'es will have the driver already installed.

I used a Belkin serial to usb for an xp system and it work good. My win7 system does not like the drivers and I can't find any at this time but it is an old Belkin adapter.

Update
My Win7 system is a 64bit so that maybe my problem no 64bit drivers for that usb-serial cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom