Serious concerns in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not until March sadly, but I must tell you that NOT going back to TIR was the toughest decision we have ever made when it comes to a holiday! Our only reason for even considering going elsewhere was simply that we have been to TIR three times. Talk about the worst reason ever!

We actually considered the Aggressor as well, but decided against it when we remembered that they left from the same boat as Turneffe. We couldn't stand the thought of having George recognize us or something!

Huracan seems pretty basic, but it's so close to that awesome diving out there... I'll keep you posted!

(We joked about going to TIR over Christmas, but I don't think that's in the budget!)

Stoo...I'm with you 1000% When I was diving with my daughter at that age we stayed above 50ft. After she got a bit more mature and expriecnced we started to do deeper stuff. 130ft can wait...WAY too intense for a young kid!

Taking divers below 130 and them dropping below 130 because bad buoyancy contrl are 2 very different things and in the many years I did overnight trips to the Blue Hole I cant remember how many times we had assist people to ensure they stayed at 130 but the reality is most will drop below 130 even if its by a few feet only.

The key is to ensure you are experienced to that depth and ensure you are weighted correctly prior to going down.

As for the OP stick with your initial decision the Blue Hole will still be there when she is older and more experienced but do let her Snorkel the perimeter its really fabulous and the other 2 dives are AWESOME and you can stay 45ft or shallower and have memorable dives..

Gaz Cooper
Dive Belize

To the OP, I agree with the others that you shouldn't take your daughter to the Blue Hole to dive. While it is true that the two followup dives are fantastic, even the second dive of the day may well be beyond her abilities.

As for those that are not Blue Hole dive fans, well, I just don't know what to say about that, other than I have hundreds of dives off of Ambergris Caye, and in the Blue Hole, no less than 10 times. Everytime I come to the surface, I'm one happy diver! Yes, it is dark and murky, but to me, a super cool dive nonetheless. And as has been said by others on this thread, the followup dives are spectacular.

A Blue Hole dive day is always a fantastic way to spend a day in Belize for me. I'd have been on that excursion many many more times if it weren't for the $$.

All that said, I'm aware of problems that have come to other divers in the BH, but have never seen anything unfortunate happen myself. The worst was some chuffers having to use the dropped tanks and having a shark check me out too closely at depth. But after all, I annoyed him first. :)

I also agree with some of the others, that the BH is a dive that should be prepared for by diving a number of days to 80+ feet before going off on the BH day. I also completely agree with Peter, with regard to personal responsibility and realizing/accepting that while the DM's do care about you and want to do the best for their divers, you need to accept that on any dive you are responsible for yourself. IMNSHO, you should percieve the DM's as dive guides and not dive gods.

Taking divers below 130 and them dropping below 130 because bad buoyancy contrl are 2 very different things and in the many years I did overnight trips to the Blue Hole I cant remember how many times we had assist people to ensure they stayed at 130 but the reality is most will drop below 130 even if its by a few feet only.

The key is to ensure you are experienced to that depth and ensure you are weighted correctly prior to going down.

As for the OP stick with your initial decision the Blue Hole will still be there when she is older and more experienced but do let her Snorkel the perimeter its really fabulous and the other 2 dives are AWESOME and you can stay 45ft or shallower and have memorable dives..

Gaz Cooper
Dive Belize

Taking a diver to 130' who doesn't have the buoyancy control to stay level at that depth is irresponsible.

Bob

. . .

I have to wonder whether at least a few divers with what you perceived as "bad buoyancy control" were in reality intentionally allowing themselves to descend a few more feet--making it look inadvertent--so they could return with the trophy of having reached some depth beyond the mythical 130-foot rec limit that many of them have never approached before. It seems to me that it's human nature for a person who is taken to some preconceived "limit" to want to push the limit a little. Maybe, paradoxically, it is those very divers who lack experience diving to 130 feet who perceive the Blue Hole as their one opportunity to dive BEYOND 130 feet by "inadvertently" dropping a bit below their fellow divers.

I don't know how many times I've returned from a dive and, back on the boat, I overhear divers comparing the maximum depths they reached.

I shot this video a few years ago. Didn't have lights or WB ability back then but you can get a feel for what you will see on the dive.

[vimeo]8565648[/vimeo]

I don't know how many times I've returned from a dive and, back on the boat, I overhear divers comparing the maximum depths they reached.

At the end of each dive, the guides at Turneffe Island Resort require you to give them your max depth and maybe your dive time (I've forgotten), and they note it on a log sheet. I always thought it was a good idea to keep a record, but I don't recall any other dive op doing it.

Thanks for the video share, BDSC! Watching it made me feel homesick. Can't wait to get back into the BH.

Hugh Parkey's Dive Connection tracked our totals at the BH as well. No problems, no hassle, water was great, our son snorkled the reef while we dove and he loved it. They are a well ran operation.

Back
Top Bottom