Service manual for MK25AF/X650?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evil_xander

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

does anybody know where can I find the service manual for Scubapro MK25AF/X650 regulator?

So far I managed to find it for MK20 and various older models. AFAIK, the MK25 is somewhat similar & upgraded MK20?

Still, nothing on X650.

I don't think I'll be doing the servicing myself, but since there's no authorized SP service where I live, I'd like to be familiar with the procedure (I've yet to hear about anybody using the X650 besides me in Croatia, a pretty rare 2nd stage around it seems....).

Also, is there a place where I could find out about upgrade notifications (engineering bulletins) from SP that are due in service time? The X650 is of the revised series (blue X on the decal), but in case any other issues come out...

Thanks! :D

The Mk 20 and Mk 25 are essentially identical with the exception of the high pressure seat retainer. The seat retainer on the Mk 25 includes an annlen screw/pad arrangement to allow adjustment of the Intermediate Pressure. This adjustment needs to be done with the reg depressurized however.

Other than that the differences are mostly cosmetic with some late Mk 20's being full fledged Mk 25's in every respect but the seat retainer (which is available as an upgrade).

Earlier Mk 20's vary between themselves with a different yoke retainer, swivel cap, LP port turret, a slightly different profile on the yoke, and one of three different pistons that were used in Mk 20 production with the last one being the same composite piston used in the Mk 25.

DA Aquamaster:
The Mk 20 and Mk 25 are essentially identical with the exception of the high pressure seat retainer. The seat retainer on the Mk 25 includes an annlen screw/pad arrangement to allow adjustment of the Intermediate Pressure. This adjustment needs to be done with the reg depressurized however.

Other than that the differences are mostly cosmetic with some late Mk 20's being full fledged Mk 25's in every respect but the seat retainer (which is available as an upgrade).

Thanks for shedding more light on this!

BTW, I was just looking through the user instruction guide, and came across this:

"5.2 Thread or Yoke Connections

...Threaded: this connector uses a knurled and threaded retaining wheel and complies with ISO 12209-2 (200 or 300 bar)..."

Does this mean there are two types of DIN versions, one for max 200 bar working pressure and the other for 300 bar? Why on earth did they do that.

I'm asking since it intrigued me from the first day why the retaining wheel is made of plastic (doesn't seem like a good idea, but hey...) and it had ingraved max 200 bar working pressure (even if it's a DIN version connector that should go up to 300 bar). This would directly imply it should not be used with any tank filled to a higher pressure then 200 bar.

If I'm correct, according to the manual, it should be possible to exchange the connection during, let's say maintenance, to a 300 bar version? Does that one have a metal made wheel or only a different ingraving for visual difference?

When I looked for a DIN version, I didn't want max 200 bar operating pressure (if I did, I would have went with the Yoke version), so it seems I'll have to have that sorted out...

What are the worst case scenarios now, since I regularly used, up to now, 210-220 bar filled tanks, does it have a tolerable margin of 10% above the stated max work pressure?

DA Aquamaster, since you're servicing SP, I'd like to know your thoughts on this if possible, and suggestions. :D

evil_xander:
Does this mean there are two types of DIN versions, one for max 200 bar working pressure and the other for 300 bar? Why on earth did they do that.

there are two versions of din, 300 bar and (I thought) 230 - from what you say, seems to be only 200b.

200b has 5 threads, and is shorter. 300 bar has 7 threads. If you try to screw in a 200b device in a 300b valve, it wont go to the end, and if you open the valve, the air will exhaust through a small hole in the valve.

if you screw in a 300b device on a 200b valve, no problem.

a friend of mine had his mk25 200b converted by a SP dealer into 300b - I believe the cost was $45 for the parts, plus the work.

eric

ericrd:
there are two versions of din, 300 bar and (I thought) 230 - from what you say, seems to be only 200b.

a friend of mine had his mk25 200b converted by a SP dealer into 300b - I believe the cost was $45 for the parts, plus the work.

eric

Did some additional checking on the matter, it seems that the 200 DIN version also can go up to 230 bar without any problems (Scubapro specifications).

So far I've used it with standard DIN connectors on tanks without any issues. I found a service that can take care of the thing, when it's time for regular checkup of the reg (or before if the need arises).

Still, why would anybody make two versions of the DIN connector, is beyond me... I don't think other vendors have this, a bit weird.

There are two versions of the DIN connector to keep people from putting old regulators not capable of handing the pressure on new HP tanks. Since the 300bar version is longer, you can put a HP reg on an HP or LP tank, but an LP reg on only a LP tank.

Since Scubapro makes the adaptors in both 230 and 300 bar, and many SP 1sts will take either one, many divers (like myself) use the 300 bar anytime it will fit, so the reg will be usable on all tanks, and occasionally shops which do not have a 300 bar connector in stock or are not aware of the difference will put a 230 bar on a newer 1st which really ought to have the 300 bar. This borders on a rip off since it means the reg won't be usable on many newer tanks.

Re 200 or 230 bar these numbers seem to get used interchangeably for the LP DIN connector depending on the manufacturer or even which catalog you are looking at, and there really isn't enough difference to worry about it. I think the actual DIN specification was 230 bar.

oxyhacker:
There are two versions of the DIN connector to keep people from putting old regulators not capable of handing the pressure on new HP tanks. Since the 300bar version is longer, you can put a HP reg on an HP or LP tank, but an LP reg on only a LP tank.

Ok, this seems plausible enough for me. :)

Thanks.

BTW, I've beeen looking at the MK25 scheme, and it seems to me that it is not much more complicated to remove the connector and screw in the 300 DIN version, then it is to add an octopus. Am I missing something in the big picture here?

Providing the replacement kit covers the entire connector with the filter and retainer and etc, of course.

Back
Top Bottom