Servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wondering where to look for information on if I can service my own gear, especially regulators. I have not made a purchase of anything yet, but looking ahead in the future. Are there brands that are easier to get service kits to overhaul equipment? From what I gather regulators are the main issue. Are there any special tools that need to purchased? What about service manuals? Where to purchase parts? I can't seem to find anything online or on the forum unless I'm looking for something specific.

I would like to support my LDS with purchasing a regulator from them, which would come with parts for life. I don't want to buy into the parts for life thing because I don't feel like I should have to pay the outrageous labor costs to go with it. Anyways, I'm just trying to get a feel for what it takes.

Short answer is yes. Some brands are very easy to get kits for with the blessing of the mfg. Others are so restrictive a dealer risks losing his dealership if he sells you a service kit.
For the most part tools are common hand tools. However there are some specialized ones that make servicing much easier. And again, some brands have specialized tools that you used to only be able to get from the mfg if you were a dealer. Now that is not so true with places like Scubatools and those of us with access to mills, lathes, and in my case a waterjet. I make lots of tools. Nothing really exotic just things that make servicing a bit easier for me. Stuff that either would be expensive or that I make out of brass to void scratches. Currently one mfg will allow divers to be trained to do their own regs with some conditions. Others gladly provide the schematics. And still others will have you believe it's black magic that only a dealer can or should perform.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hog and Dive Rite will sell you kits. Apeks, Sherwood, and Hollis kits are available from certain retailers. Scubapro you need a connection or scrounge eBay. Although Vintage Double Hose does sell kits for the older models. Zeagle used to sell kits but I am not sure of the policy now that they have been purchased.

Can someone link me to a site or attachment that would go through servicing a regulator set? I'm impartial to what it is. I guess something more modern since I do plan on buying new.

I'm starting to look at regulators here in a little bit, I think I would like to have the option of getting parts and servicing my own gear. I don't really know if I want to trust someone else with my life type deal.

I am just getting started myself and it was recommended to buy, read and fully understand:

Vance Harlow's
SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair

Pete Wolfinger's
SCUBA Regulator Savvy

Just about done with the first one.

I am just getting started myself and it was recommended to buy, read and fully understand:

Vance Harlow's
SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair

Pete Wolfinger's
SCUBA Regulator Savvy

Just about done with the first one.

I stumbled across a post with these books in them just a little bit ago. I will order them. I feel the general knowledge will help in the long run anyways.

Last edited:
Can someone link me to a site or attachment that would go through servicing a regulator set? I'm impartial to what it is. I guess something more modern since I do plan on buying new.

I'm starting to look at regulators here in a little bit, I think I would like to have the option of getting parts and servicing my own gear. I don't really know if I want to trust someone else with my life type deal.

Their has not been very much change in regulator design in the last 30+ years. The biggest differences are cosmetic and materials - plastic cased 2nds rather than metal. As far as the "life type deal" goes, I just don't see a regulator problem leading to my death so, I DIY rather than let some unknown tech do my regs primarily to avoid the PITA of regulator problems and to save the $$$.

I'm not sure why I typed "life type deal?" that is horrible English.... Anyways... I am a relatively mechanically inclined person, and have more tools than most people... I will read those books, and see where I feel with a comfort level.

Back
Top Bottom